PDA

View Full Version : Crested Caracara (adult)

Joseph Przybyla
11-14-2019, 10:54 AM
I captured this image along Joe Overstreet Road in Kenansville, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VR AF-S ED, image captured at 300mm
1/1600 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 2000 Auto WB HH
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2020 and Neat Image for noise reduction, smoothed the background in a couple areas
Cropped from horizontal to vertical for composition and presentation

P.S. Learn more about Joe Overstreet Road in the BAA Middle Florida Photography Site Guide that Artie and I co-authored. It is available on the Birds As Art Online Store.

Randy Stout
11-14-2019, 12:24 PM
Joe:

I like the pose, background, exposure and nice display of the talons. The big feet and talons soften the post top.

I am not seeing quite as much fine detail overall. Perhaps a combination of the crop, D7000 sensor and the lens, which tends to be a bit soft at 300mm.

Randy

Jack Backs
11-14-2019, 06:38 PM
Like the over the shoulder look and background. I agree with Randy, it looks a little soft over all.

Joseph Przybyla
11-15-2019, 07:37 AM
Randy and Jack, thank you for viewing and commenting. I was greedy, tried to get too much out of the image. I knew better. Large crop and noise reduction I am sure wiped out fine detail. Here is a repost keeping the image as a 2x3. Thanks again.

Arthur Morris
11-15-2019, 10:57 AM
I love the 2X3 version much, much better. I even like the blue in the URC. And it would be hard to find a better perch ...

Try to remember to stop down a bit for the over-the-shoulder poses especially when you have lots of shutter speed.

with love, artie

ps: ps: if you'd like to visit Joe Overstreet, Circle Bar B, and other great Lakeland locations along with a few more great Central Florida spots, and learn about bird photography near my home at Indian Lake Estates, check out The BAA Middle of Florida Site Guide (https://birdsasart-shop.com/the-baa-middle-of-florida-photographic-site-guide/) that I co-wrote and co-illustrated with Joe.

Randy Stout
11-15-2019, 01:00 PM
Joe: Presents better on repost. We all occ. push it past limit of what a file has to give. But if you don't over do it occ. , you are probably leaving something on the table!

Randy

Krishna Prasad kotti
11-15-2019, 02:27 PM
Both images are nice. First one is tight for my taste.

On the second one I think you could try different crop 4:3 may be to reduce the same in-front of the bird.

These places are worth checking out in my opinion.

TFS

Joseph Przybyla
11-16-2019, 07:45 AM
Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.

John Mack
11-19-2019, 03:02 PM
Either image looks fine to me. But i do like the horizontal more.