PDA

View Full Version : The Purple Siblings

Kaushik Balakumar
07-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Made this image 2 years back during one of my treks in the western ghats of India.

http://www.pbase.com/bkaushik/image/82955479.jpg

Nikon D70s + Tamron 90mm Di macro.
Sorry, but I don't have the EXIF...

Views welcome...

Bill Whitney
07-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Kaushik..... I like a lot. Love the repeat of the slightly open bud to the fully open one.

John Cooper
07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
I like your composition here Kaushik but find the overall image a little under-exposed.

Robert O'Toole
07-02-2008, 11:35 PM
The comp and the image design is great. I like how you have just a little space between the 2, merging would have not looked so good. Also it looks like the image has some backlighting....or at least a rim light of some kind.

Robert

Ed Vatza
07-03-2008, 05:34 AM
I too like the composition here. But like John said, the image looks a little underexposed on my monitor. The image seems to convey a dark and ominous tone rather than a bright and cheery one that I guess I would prefer. But that is a personal preference.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-03-2008, 05:53 AM
I too like the composition here. But like John said, the image looks a little underexposed on my monitor. The image seems to convey a dark and ominous tone rather than a bright and cheery one that I guess I would prefer. But that is a personal preference.

Ed, my monitor is uncalibrated.
:D Cheery feel is something that I wud prefer too...
But I guess it was the wrong time of the day when light was bit too harsh. Any attempt in brightening it up would result in over-exposing the flower.

Julie Kenward
07-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Kaushik, when the entire photo seems too dark one thing you can try is to add a linear dodge layer over the original (In Photoshop.) I duplicated the layer, changed the blend mode to linear dodge and then reduced the opacity to roughly 60%. You can always do some selective dodging and burning after you add the linear dodge layer to perfect specific areas.

My replica is not perfect; I just wanted to show how using different blending modes in PS can change the drama or feel of an image.

I love your composition and DOF on this image!

Roman Kurywczak
07-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Hi Kaushik,
I loved the comps and feel of this one.......but agreed with a little dark. Julie showed one way.....but I didn't feel this one would get blown out with a simple levels adjustment layer .......so I tried it. Mid tone slider to 132. That's it. You can probably go higher.....but i didn;t want to get too crazy. Now get that monitor calibrated........or at least adjust it to the little strip on the bottom!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Thank you Julie & Roman for taking ur time off to re-work this one.

Hi Kaushik,
Now get that monitor calibrated........or at least adjust it to the little strip on the bottom!
Loved that comment :)

:D I guess its time I bought a tool ... :D

rgds,
Kaushik