PDA

View Full Version : Pileated Woodpecker Removing Fecal Sac From Nest

Joseph Przybyla
11-06-2019, 08:42 AM
When hatchling Pileated Woodpeckers defecate in the nest cavity the fecal material is contained in a mucous membrane covered fecal sac. When the parents return to the nest cavity after feeding the chicks the parent enters the nest cavity, emerging with a fecal sac cleaning the nest cavity. I captured this image in 2016 (processed today with Lightroom Classic and Photoshop CC 2020) when the woodpeckers nested in the trunk of a dead palm tree. The nest was about forty feet up with a clear grassy area surrounding the nest circled by woods and heavy underbrush. I moved back as far as possible to decrease the upwards angle, I wish I could have gotten higher. Image captured at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, image captured at 400mm
1/2000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV +1/3 ISO 900 Auto WB, camera supported by a monopod
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2020 and Neat Image for noise reduction
Cropped for composition and presentation

P.S. Learn more about Circle B Bar Reserve in the BAA Middle Florida Photography Site Guide co-authored by Artie and me. It is available on the Birds As Art Online Store.

Tim Munsey
11-06-2019, 09:10 AM
Popping out my screen, very 3D, interesting behavioral image.

I thought you are supposed to comment on 3 other posts when you submit a post for the community?

Joseph Przybyla
11-06-2019, 10:09 AM
I thought you are supposed to comment on 3 other posts when you submit a post for the community?

Seems like a new moderator in town...

Arthur Morris
11-06-2019, 05:48 PM
Well done. Looks like a messy job!

with love, artie

John Mack
11-07-2019, 04:40 PM
Great timing. The framing looks very nice to me. Like the blue sky.

Joseph Przybyla
11-11-2019, 10:58 AM
Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.