View Full Version : Red Grouse

William Dickson
11-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Canon 1DX Mk2
f/4 400mm DO Mk2
f/5.6
1/1250
ISO 640

This is the same bird as my last Red Grouse Portrait post....Different light, pose and BG.

Will

kevin Hice
11-05-2019, 08:14 PM
William I loved the last Grouse and this one is great too.TFS

dankearl
11-05-2019, 10:56 PM
Nice portrait, I would sharpen/darken the tip of the beak.

arash_hazeghi
11-06-2019, 02:31 AM
nice environmental portrait, good details but the light angle wasn't ideal casting blocked shadows on the subject

TFS

Tim Munsey
11-06-2019, 05:05 AM
Nice one, are yours friendly I have differing experiences on one moor I can go right up and get shots with a 24-70 on other's I need a 1000mm.
I think Dan is a little OTT on sharpening.

Joseph Przybyla
11-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Hi Will, beautiful bird, love the setting for the portrait. Nice feather detail, colors and complimentary background. I agree with Arash regarding the light and shadows. I would try to open the shadows a tad hoping to keep the noise there to a minimum. Thank you for sharing.

William Dickson
11-06-2019, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys for the advice.Appreciated...Tim...There is one grouse I can get real close to...He is defending territory...Been using the same territory for years. I think he knows me by now :S3: The others, I can't get too close to...There is a single road leading through the Glen, so using the vehicle as a hide works well.

Will

William Dickson
11-06-2019, 11:15 AM
If lifted the shadows on the dark area.

Joseph Przybyla
11-06-2019, 11:28 AM
Hi Will, looks better to me...

Krishna Prasad kotti
11-06-2019, 01:45 PM
I think Sun Angle is ok. I like the repost.

I love the details on the bird.

TFS

Steve Kaluski
11-07-2019, 09:34 AM
Hi Will, I quite like the colours, but the crop isn't working for me. Overall I agree with Arash about the Blacks/Shadows, but my feeling is that it's been introduced more via your Workflow and PP, introducing things like Contrast, Blacks etc. Taking the OP and addressing those areas, plus adding a tad of Exposure the detail is far more evident IMHO, especially the finer parts that are chocked. Have you Picture styles enabled or Auto WB?

Hope the attached helps.

Cheers
Steve

John Mack
11-07-2019, 04:38 PM
Great view of this grouse. Like the framing and the pose. Killer background. Light was nice as well.

William Dickson
11-08-2019, 08:24 AM
Hi Will, I quite like the colours, but the crop isn't working for me. Overall I agree with Arash about the Blacks/Shadows, but my feeling is that it's been introduced more via your Workflow and PP, introducing things like Contrast, Blacks etc. Taking the OP and addressing those areas, plus adding a tad of Exposure the detail is far more evident IMHO, especially the finer parts that are chocked. Have you Picture styles enabled or Auto WB?

Hope the attached helps.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve...Thanks for the repost. I did add some contrast to the image. I thought it added to the overall frame, especially the rich colours on the feathers. Too much!!! which would cause the shadows to darken!! The blacks on the RAW weren't blocked, so yes, I have introduced it :e3 My picture type is standard and yes Auto WB

Will