PDA

View Full Version : Reach for the sky

Mike Lentz
07-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I spent some time last weekend in a field full of Coreopsis and Daisy's. It was pretty windy/gusty and I waited until the wind blew these towards me. Thoughts?

http://www.pbase.com/mike_lentz/image/99559240.jpg

Nikon D300 ~
F/8 ~ ISO 200 ~ 1/500 sec ~ +1/3 EV

Kaushik Balakumar
07-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Lovely perspective. Liked the colour combinations.
Yellow looks a bit too hot though.

Bill Whitney
07-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Mike....love the play of the yellow against the blue sky. Nicely done.

John Cooper
07-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi Mike - love the complimentry colour play here of blue and yellow - great DOF with heaps of impact!!
Did you you use a blue/gold polarizer here Mike?

Susan Griffith
07-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Now this is a photograph that really reminds me of summer :). The contrast between the yellow blooms and the blue sky is wonderful.

-Susan

Mike Lentz
07-02-2008, 09:20 PM
It makes me have that "summer" feeling as well. No polarizer was used, but I had the D300 set on Vibrance mode and dialed up the blues a notch in PS.

Kaushik, I'll go back into the yellows and dial them back a bit. I know the Nikon tends to heat up fast in the yellow and red channel.

Robert O'Toole
07-02-2008, 11:37 PM
The colors, the low angle and the comp all work for me. Very nice. Good exposure control although as mentioned the yellows are a little over sat.

Robert

Ed Vatza
07-03-2008, 05:39 AM
To borrow a line used by Julie on another thread, I keep looking at this image and finding I like it then I don't then I like it. It is definitely summery in its feel and that is great. And I really like the yellow against blue. But something keeps looking artificial to me. It may a result of the saturation, I don't know for sure. The yellow looks a bit too yellow and the blue sky seems almost too blue. And I ask myself, how can a sky be too blue?!?!? :) I must be in a dark mood!

Mike Lentz
07-03-2008, 07:24 AM
But something keeps looking artificial to me I post this image just so you know it was taken in a wild field of flowers, not in some potted plant. :D This is a small postion of a very large field that holds these flowers.
http://www.pbase.com/image/99610398.jpg

Julie Kenward
07-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Hey Ed...you stole my line! Mike, it's a very nice image. The saturation levels don't really bother me because I love the pop of color in a summery image. My one comment would be that I would like to see a little more room on the top and right side so the sky has a little bit more elbow room around the flowers.

And, yes, sky really CAN be THAT blue! I live in the Midwest...I should know! We don't have any oceans or mountains here in Kansas/Missouri but - good grief - have we got sky! :D

Roman Kurywczak
07-03-2008, 01:20 PM
OK Mike,
In the post of the field........neither the yellow or the blues look as vivid as they do in the original post...........that being said..........so what! I used to love E100VS film and what photo editor didn't love the pop of Velvia........all for the vibrance of colors. Un naturally so.....maybe........but we can play with that and change it as our moods/tastes change. The comp with the upward angle and feel of summer that you have portrayed here are excellent!

Mike Lentz
07-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks Julie & Roman... now I can go start happy hour with the wifey poo. :D