PDA

View Full Version : Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Jonathan Ashton
10-29-2019, 12:22 PM
Hand held, too much lens!
Image input equipment model : Olympus E-M1X
Lens Model : OLYMPUS M.300mm F4.0
Lens focal length : 300 mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 601.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
Photographic Sensitivity : 2000
Exposure bias : 0 EV
Exposure time : 1/400 sec
F number : F4
Flash : OFF

ACR + PSCC

Steve Kaluski
10-29-2019, 04:39 PM
Hi Jon, not sure if you will get any replies and if you have left now, but..
This is a belter of an image, no noise, great detail and it has what I think you and I were trying to explain to Tim, it has depth! This is where 2D becomes 3D. :cheers:
Love the grass on the rack and again the Fleming response. Crop a little awkward, but. I also love the deep richness & saturation the image has and the dappled greens in the BKG.

Just a thought, but if the LHS is darker make it so,it then hides that tree HL which is distracting, plus, then that eye pings out on the right. Sort out the highlight on the rack point at the top.

Jon, for me the best image posted with the new kit, very well done!

TFS
Steve

I think its a mix of the two, but you see where I'm going, just wants a bit more light tickled back in on the RHS of the face/ear.

John Mack
10-29-2019, 06:46 PM
Love the in your face view of this. Not too much lens for me. Nice and sharp with good detail. The grass in the rack is a bonus.

Tim Munsey
10-30-2019, 02:39 AM
This is a belter of an image, no noise, great detail and it has what I think you and I were trying to explain to Tim, it has depth! This is where 2D becomes 3D. :cheers:

Ouch!!! I think/know lighting helps to model and create depth, this certainly has depth, a well caught image of the sniffing stag.

Tim

Steve Kaluski
10-30-2019, 03:50 AM
Ouch!!! I think/know lighting helps to model and create depth, this certainly has depth, a well caught image of the sniffing stag. Tim

Tim, I'm not having a 'pop', far from it, you have/are posting some excellent work, especially the Kestrel, one of the best I've seen. All that I and to a degree, Jon were saying, is that the two Hare images have very even light creating little or no real depth. Here the Stag has greater Tonal range and more dramatic light range where you are able to 'sculpt' the light more within PP. Your image may have that and how it's processed may/will dictate to a degree the end result. I could well be wrong, I wasn't there or have seen the Raw, all I/we can do in feedback is make assumptions and help if possible to get the most from a posted image and where exchanges like this can help/benefit others too. :S3:

Arthur Morris
10-30-2019, 04:29 PM
Tim, I'm not having a 'pop', far from it, you have/are posting some excellent work, especially the Kestrel, one of the best I've seen. All that I and to a degree, Jon were saying, is that the two Hare images have very even light creating little or no real depth. Here the Stag has greater Tonal range and more dramatic light range where you are able to 'sculpt' the light more within PP. Your image may have that and how it's processed may/will dictate to a degree the end result. I could well be wrong, I wasn't there or have seen the Raw, all I/we can do in feedback is make assumptions and help if possible to get the most from a posted image and where exchanges like this can help/benefit others too. :S3:

Tim, Do understand that different strokes work for different folks. Other than the dirt and the grass, I do not like either version of the deer image. Yes, the sidelight does create some depth but in your hare image, with the lovely soft, direct lighting, the depth is created via selective focus. For me, it is by far the more powerful image. More beautiful and more artistic. While some describe the framing as awkward, for me it is pretty much unworkable --all kinds of tines are cut off (if that is the right word for the little antler thingies). And the bright stuff in the BKGR wrecks the image by drawing the viewer's eye. But I guess that it does give the image more depth ...

with love, a

Jonathan Ashton
10-31-2019, 03:52 AM
Hi folks and thank you to all, glad I have generated some discussion. Currently sitting in the lounge of Novotel in Delhi and had time for a quick peep.

Steve Kaluski
10-31-2019, 04:46 AM
Isn't Delhi buzzing. Hope you had a good flight and no issues getting in, enjoy the trip.

Gabriela Plesea
10-31-2019, 10:38 AM
I'm late here Jon, my apologies - just wanted to say I'm loving it. Indeed the best post with your new gear and as you know I am partial to close-ups...so this is right up my alley:w3

Hope you have an awesome trip, take care and enjoy, bring back some stunners!

Warmest regards,