PDA

View Full Version : A smiling Blenny - some supermacro

Mike Poole
10-28-2019, 10:00 AM

I bought a supermacro converter for this trip - and what a massive surprise it was to me as to how to use it! Its a specially designed unit only suitable for underwater use, and needs to be only a couple of inches away from the subject - fun but tough!

This little blenny has a permanent smiling face, but is only about half the size of the nail on your little finger. Fortunately, once they're used to you being there, they will sit and pose quite still

Nikon D500 in a nauticam housing
105 mm plus the nauticam super macro converter
ISO 200
1/125th f20
twin Sea and Sea YS-D1 strobes

Mike

Jonathan Ashton
10-28-2019, 12:36 PM
You have that lighting sorted really well Mike, another different and interesting shot. Are those barnacle tentacles in the lower portion of the image? The title is very apt and I could see this doing well in competition.

Mike Poole
10-31-2019, 07:56 AM
You have that lighting sorted really well Mike, another different and interesting shot. Are those barnacle tentacles in the lower portion of the image? The title is very apt and I could see this doing well in competition.

Thanks Jon, no barnacle tentacle here, they just live in thing holes in the rock and corals, a few bits of stay sea grass knocking around but thats about it

Mike

Ravi Hirekatur
11-01-2019, 09:24 PM
Love this one! Great smiley face, well captured. Nicely composed in its hole. great image!

Krishna Prasad kotti
02-23-2020, 01:03 PM
Superb Expression and excellent capture.

Arthur Morris
05-20-2020, 06:50 PM
Amazingly well done. This one cracks me up!
a

ps: what % are sharply focused???

Arthur Morris
05-20-2020, 06:51 PM
ps: I'd lose the two white spots in the dark hole ...

a

Mike Poole
05-23-2020, 01:00 PM
Amazingly well done. This one cracks me up!
a

ps: what % are sharply focused???

Cheers Artie,

It's a great setup but only under certain circumstances - you need to get wedged into the environment, so need a subject in a place where you won't wreck the coral. Back button focusing to lock the focus and rock backwards and forwards gently unto lthe shot is sharp. With something like this where the fish is all but stationary then maybe 50-60% were sharp, whereas this one http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/150037-Whip-Coral-Shrimp was on a moving wore coral, so until I got a guide to trap the coral in place the percentage was close to zero.

Everyone always loves the little expressions on these guys.

White spots were cloned on the final shot - sloppy on my part

cheers

Mike