PDA

View Full Version : Young Polar bear enjoying life

Steve Kaluski
10-28-2019, 06:49 AM
Here you go John Mack. :S3:

It's always nice when you photograph subjects that are so totally relaxed and don't feel threatened. This young Polar bear was quite at home, rolling around on the pack ice in the nice warm sun, as you can see, he knew exactly where we were, but posed no threat. No chance of shooting any lower, this was through one of the mooring line apertures, (no idea what they are called) and I feel the angle is OK.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject:Young male Polar bear (Ursus maritimus) playing on pack ice
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 500f/4 with 1.4 Ext HH
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/11 ISO5000
Original format: Landscape, almost FF
Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Tim Munsey
10-28-2019, 08:41 AM
Nice to see, thanks for sharing

Jonathan Ashton
10-28-2019, 12:27 PM
He looks familiar! I was surprised when you said a young male - look at the size of those paws!!
Super shot, wonderful details.

Gabriela Plesea
10-28-2019, 01:56 PM
Good evening Steve,

Very well captured, beautifully exposed, superb timing. Composition helps highlight the Polar Bear, improves POV as well as brings the focus to the subject's eyes, nice thinking:w3

Love the detail in those massive paws and bits of snow on its face. As well as paw prints on the pack ice. Nice techs too, IQ is great at ISO 5000.

Jon is right, looks big for a young male. Also cuddly and playful...but I am glad you kept your distance:bg3:

I like it as presented, thank you so much for sharing Steve,

Warmest regards,

John Mack
10-28-2019, 05:53 PM
Well it was worth the wait. Nice view of this handsome bear. Detail looks great per usual. Nice to see both paws so well. Great texture in that ice and snow. Why f/11, is that because of the teleconverter?

Steve Kaluski
10-30-2019, 03:53 AM
Why f/11, is that because of the teleconverter

I wanted as much in focus as possible John, like the Walrus shot at f/16, but mindful there is no real BKG too.