PDA

View Full Version : Silver Gull

Colin Driscoll
10-23-2019, 11:46 PM
I'm still in pursuit of the ultimate shot of this bird. So common that they are generally overlooked but are very attractive in the right light and pose.
1DX II 600 f4 III HH
1/2500 f5.6 iso800
Manual

Cropped, bird sharpened a bit, cloned some distracting whites in the rock PS2019

Aditya Sridhar
10-24-2019, 12:07 AM
Great shot Colin! Sweet light and great wing position. The reds on the birds pop so much against the white plumage! I would turn the saturation of the legs down slightly. I'd be stoked to have this image on my cards!

Ian McLachlan
10-24-2019, 02:18 AM
You are dead right Colin they are so common we simply ignore them .But this is very nice and I doubt that you have done much with those legs as at certain times of the year they are that astounding red. And i really like the contrast with the whitest of whites on the Silver G.and the background colour. I wonder if you might consider taking a touch off the bottom as its quite strong there, say just above those 2 white stones?

Ivan Sjogren
10-24-2019, 06:32 AM
Beautiful frame Colin!
The pose and the bird itself looks terrific. Great details in the whites and eye contact with the bird. The thought of photographing this in evening light at this location was very successfull as the red legs match the reddish rocks.
I'm a little undecisive about the sharp line between the rock in the bg and sea. You positioned it well though as it doesnät intersect with the bird in a distracting way.

Arthur Morris
10-24-2019, 08:21 AM
Pretty darned close to the ultimate image. If you had been two feet lower so that the intersecting background was gone, it would have been pretty much perfect. The light on the underwings is spectacular. As for me, I love gulls. If I ever get Down Under this and those yellow-eyed pelicans would be my main targets ...

What would be the best time and place for those?

with love, artie

dankearl
10-24-2019, 09:49 AM
Whites look terrific...I would take out the dark spot on the left and the dark line on the right.

Bill Dix
10-24-2019, 12:46 PM
May be common for you guys, but a treat for me to see a fine image of this beautiful gull. Nicely controlled whites and great wing spread.

Colin Driscoll
10-24-2019, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the comments. The shot was taken in early morning light, and I was a low as I could get on the irregular rocky ground. Artie any time of the year for both at any of the many east coastal waterways. The gulls are most plentiful at waterside eateries where they will steal food off your plate!

Arthur Morris
10-25-2019, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the comments. The shot was taken in early morning light, and I was a low as I could get on the irregular rocky ground. Artie any time of the year for both at any of the many east coastal waterways. The gulls are most plentiful at waterside eateries where they will steal food off your plate!

Thanks. Fly to what city?

with love, a

Colin Driscoll
10-25-2019, 02:44 PM
Artie, Sydney or Brisbane would be OK starting places.

Paul Burdett
10-26-2019, 02:48 AM
Hi Colin. One of your best! My only nitpics are the two spots that Dan mentions. Well done!

Artie: Could offer you a home cooked meal if you visit! Plenty of Gulls here!

Tim Munsey
10-29-2019, 02:58 AM
What a stunning gull, and welcoming pose, nicely caught.

Tim