PDA

View Full Version : Pileated in flight

dankearl
10-23-2019, 11:11 AM
Taken yesterday, I don't think I have ever been happier to look at the back of my camera.....
They fly like kingfishers, I was shocked at how fast. 1/4000 and I got one keeper out of 10 frames.....
D500, 420mm (300 w/ 1.4), f4, 1/4000, iso1000
Hope you enjoy this one as much as I do.
Maybe never get another like this...
1DS_5340bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=183692&stc=1&d=1571847045)

gail bisson
10-23-2019, 12:10 PM
Absolutely perfect wing position with the primaries flared beautifully.
Nice and sharp and reds look pretty good. Exposure spot on but might add a point of blacks to the blacks in selective coloring and sharpen the eye and cheek a little bit more.
Only thing I would change is to evict that brown OOF branch in front of the bird.
Well done. Not an easy shot to get!
Gail

Bill Dix
10-23-2019, 02:31 PM
I would be ecstatic. This is stunning, with great exposure, good wing position, nice detail. I only rarely see these guys in flight, and when I do they are past me in a flash. I agree the brown oof branch is distracting and I'd evict it; but not a killer. Congratulations!

John Mack
10-23-2019, 03:31 PM
Love that wing and the pose. This wasn't east to get. Nice framing as well. Could care less about the background.

arash_hazeghi
10-24-2019, 12:16 AM
you nailed a tough flight shot Dan, this is a 10/10 in terms of difficulty. The subject is so cool the BG doesn't distract me as much here

TFS

Colin Driscoll
10-24-2019, 12:28 AM
Top shot that! I like the oblique light that gives detail to the feathers. I would like the tail and lower back to be a little brighter to stand out from the BG.

Ivan Sjogren
10-24-2019, 06:48 AM
I really appreiciate the difficulty in getting a shot like thise so well done and congrats! Was this a lucky moment where you nailed a breif opportunity or a shot you have been working towards a long time?
The wing position is, as mentioned, very good. I really like the comp with those brighter branches giving sort of a framing for the bird. I don't think the branches on the right are distracting but of course one could have hoped for a better background. I would try to recover some detail from the bright whites on the neck if possible.

dankearl
10-24-2019, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the nice comments... Ivan, I knew the Woodie was in the area as several people had seen it.
I heard it call in the trees and just hoped it would fly out in my direction. I actually adjusted my settings, cranked
up the SS and waited. I could not believe when it flew out right across me, I just aimed, saw it in the finder and just fired away.
The best thing is the best wing position was the only really decent frame....
It helps a lot to know an area and sort of know where the birds generally fly to and from.
BTW, it landed and the perched shots are terrific...