PDA

View Full Version : Sable

Ken Watkins
07-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Two Sable one of my favourite animals, taken in Kwando Concession, Northern Botswana 2nd July 2005

EOS 1D MkII

100-400 at 400

Sabyasachi Patra
07-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Looks nice. Lot of details. What was the exposure? Depth of field looks nice. You could have been slightly more gentle on the right Sable's back while cropping. :-)

Roman Kurywczak
07-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi Ken,
I agree with Sabyasachi on the rear/leg cut. I would have preferred to see the entire legs of the one on the right..........but as presented i would go a bit higher from the bottom with a crop to ncrease the facial interaction between the 2.......although that does bring up the biggest problem while photographing in Africa..........the classic rear end shot!
I have thousands of them!

Ken Watkins
07-04-2008, 02:24 AM
Hi Roman,

The crop is largely dictated by the amount of wood in the original and maintaining the two faces, you could not see the legs of either because of the long grass. As for classic rear end shots unbelievably one of these (not even classic) recently won a competition run by Kwando Safaris so obviously some people like them. I wonder if any research has been done as to why they do this so often?

Julie Kenward
07-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Beautiful animal and well executed image. I would have liked to have seen the whole leg on the right also but it's not bothering me because of the beautiful expressions on their faces. One small thing - I'd clone out those 2-3 small white spots on the mane of the one animal...I find those distracting me from that beautiful brown hide.