PDA

View Full Version : Gill Patterns

John Cooper
07-02-2008, 05:16 AM
I was attracted to the gill patterns of this fungal species.

EOS 5, EF100mm macro, ISO 50, Flash x2 - main flash held low to skim the light across the gill surface, F22, Tripod.

David Steele
07-02-2008, 05:38 AM
A superb study John and quite different to most of your others -- especially the backgound and angle. This is a very pleasing, well-lit composition of some lovely specimens with outstanding gill patterns. All of your fungi images are well suited to 'editorial illustration' but this goes beyond that. We already have 'Birds as Art', now we can add 'Fungi as Art' to that! Seriously, I really wouldn't mind this as a fine-art abstract print on a wall of my villa.

Bill Whitney
07-02-2008, 06:57 AM
John...one of my favorites of yours. Well done. Great job with the lighting to get the detail and the depth.

Julie Kenward
07-02-2008, 07:49 AM
I agree - this one has all the elements to be a great image. I really like the lighting, the composition and even the BG. The brown tones are lush and deep - it's just so well done!

Mike Moats
07-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Hey John, the gills are very cool and if you get a chance I would love to see you do a really tight shiot of just the gills as they have a nice abstract look when shot in close. Well done.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Lovely image. Perhaps a little bit of darkening might help... (or is it just my monitor).

Robert O'Toole
07-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Love the comp and all the details John. Agree with Kaushik, some darkening would improve the image for me. The RH fungi are okay but the one on the LL is overly bright.

Robert

John Cooper
07-03-2008, 03:04 AM
Love the comp and all the details John. Agree with Kaushik, some darkening would improve the image for me. The RH fungi are okay but the one on the LL is overly bright.

Robert
Yes I agree with the comments about the left lower left specimen being a bit light - I think the repost maybe an improvement. Thanks for comments.

Ed Vatza
07-03-2008, 06:04 AM
The re-post looks terrific to me, John. Excellent image. I would cast a second vote for seeing a close-up abstract image of just gills. It has the potential to be very interesting.

Roman Kurywczak
07-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Hey John,
Re-post works for me all around. The dark BG helps make the image really pop. Very nice control/use of the Flash also! I'm going to start thinking that when I go out to photograph mushrooms.........I'm going to say...........what would John do?