PDA

View Full Version : Harrier flyby

arash_hazeghi
09-23-2019, 01:44 AM
A frame from a juvenile harrier photographed over the weekend, the golden light really helped bringing up the rust color soft feathers around the neck and under wings.

shot with gripped D850 and 600 E FL + TC14-E III ISO 640 f/5.6 at 1/3200 sec hand held and processed with C1P. hope you like it

Colin Driscoll
09-23-2019, 04:16 AM
You do find the great light and backgrounds! Killer head turn too. Spot on detail, love it.

Aditya Sridhar
09-23-2019, 05:12 AM
Love this shot Arash! The light is sweet and the detail is incredible. Love the background as well. No nits from me

Bill Dix
09-23-2019, 09:59 AM
Sweet light and perfect head turn, not to mention the killer BG and detail.

Jonathan Ashton
09-23-2019, 11:53 AM
Arash you have clearly got a wonderfully focused image, colours and exposure etc - spot on, I think it is a super shot.
Something bugs me slightly, I have never got a decent shot of a harrier - hence my question, why are the feathers so smooth and almost featureless - is this typical of harriers i.e. so smooth so as to aid silent flight? You have got clear apparent detail in the talons and a hint in the underwing feathers, I was expecting a little more than I see - is this simply because I have not seen a harrier close up and personal as it were, i.e. the feathers just always super smooth?

gail bisson
09-23-2019, 12:49 PM
Gorgeous image.
The light, wing position and HA are spot on.
Gail

arash_hazeghi
09-23-2019, 01:31 PM
Arash you have clearly got a wonderfully focused image, colours and exposure etc - spot on, I think it is a super shot.
Something bugs me slightly, I have never got a decent shot of a harrier - hence my question, why are the feathers so smooth and almost featureless - is this typical of harriers i.e. so smooth so as to aid silent flight? You have got clear apparent detail in the talons and a hint in the underwing feathers, I was expecting a little more than I see - is this simply because I have not seen a harrier close up and personal as it were, i.e. the feathers just always super smooth?

Hi Jonathan, it's because you haven't seen this bird up close where you live, I don't think you guys have northern harriers in Europe that is identical to the north american specie. That's how they look like. As I have mentioned before juvenile plumage is different compared to adult birds also. Not that many people are lucky enough to get to photograph these birds at point blank like my location.

John Mack
09-23-2019, 04:13 PM
Gorgeous light. Nice pose and great background. Spot on as your usual. I see harriers where i live but they never come close.

Jonathan Ashton
09-24-2019, 02:22 PM
Thanks Arash - much appreciated.

Jack Backs
09-25-2019, 07:01 PM
Truly stunning image. Killer lighting and background.

David Salem
09-26-2019, 11:43 AM
You have many good images of Harriers but I must say this is one of you better ones!! Everything is perfect!! The Pose, details, colors, exposure, and BG colors all rock but what makes this perfect is the light angle, it's DFC!!!
Killer frame Buddy!!