PDA

View Full Version : Blue Dasher

Jim Poor
01-09-2008, 02:40 PM
I hope the framing isn't too much for this forum.

This is an image from long ago before I knew about rules and guidelines and such. I just did what looked and felt right to me. Surprisingly, it is one of the most popular with folks who have been reviewing my collection and one of only two images that I have actually sold.

There are a couple things I might do differently today (like NR on the BG) but I can't argue with the "success" of this one.

All that said, I'm open to ways to improve it further, or improve another to be taken in the future.

<table align="center" border="1" cellpadding="1" width="450"><tbody><tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Date/Time</td><td class="lid">15-May-2004 14:13:12</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Make</td><td class="lid">Nikon</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Model</td><td class="lid">NIKON D2H</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Flash Used</td><td class="lid">No</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Focal Length</td><td class="lid">400 mm</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Time</td><td class="lid">1/500 sec</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Aperture</td><td class="lid">f/5.6</td></tr></tbody></table>

Alfred Forns
01-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Can't argue with success either Jim !!!!! Agree with your assessments Love the Obelisk pose and what a beautiful Dfly I think your image would be stronger without the extra green running diagonally Frame wise is just personal choice I don't go for frames !!!

Jim Poor
01-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks Al,
I probably didn't take the extra green out because I didn't know how back then. Maybe I'll dig out the original and give it a shot.

John Cooper
01-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Hi Jim, I love the perspective that you have achieved here - lovely sharp image against the comlimentry soft BG. The bottom green stem running diagonally doesn't worry me too much but would have an attempt to remove broken stem at base of main perch. Personally I find the frame a bit over powering.

Jim Poor
01-14-2008, 03:49 PM
I reworked this a little. Sadly, at the time I made this I was shooting JPG, but I do still have the out of camera original to start with.

I got rid off the extra green (I'm undecided on that, but it's on a layer to add back if choose), got rid of the brown BG spot and smoothed the BG a lot with some cloning and blurring. I tried to touch up the wings, especially the one on our right side, but I'm not happy with that yet.

Mike Moats
01-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Hey Jim, a great image and a great job on the fix of the green stem. Perfect pose and beautiful combination of color. Good details. Well done.

Jim Poor
01-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks Mike.