PDA

View Full Version : ID help.

Jack Backs
09-11-2019, 07:18 PM
Taken last weekend. Not a particularly great image..wrong side of the branch..shadows. Warbler size and fall warbler migration period here in eastern Missouri.
This is the best shot I have of the wings. Appears to have a couple of white wing bars. I'm guessing first year female of some warbler species? Anyone have a
guess?

Nikon D500, 500mmF4VRII, TC-14EIII

f9, 1/1000s, iso1000

gail bisson
09-12-2019, 06:29 AM
I am by no means an expert but I wonder if this is an immature male pine warbler?
You might try posting this in the bird ID forum.
Gail

Jack Backs
09-12-2019, 03:41 PM
You may be right on the Pine Warbler. I didn't realize there was an ID forum. It must be hidden in some sub menu.

gail bisson
09-12-2019, 04:57 PM
You may be right on the Pine Warbler. I didn't realize there was an ID forum. It must be hidden in some sub menu.
The tab is under "resources". Just go to the general forum home page.

Dorian Anderson
09-12-2019, 05:38 PM
This strikes me as a hatch-year Bay-breasted Warbler, a fall bird quite similar to both Pine Warbler and Blackpoll Warbler. Among other marks, Pine has a longer tail and Blackpoll usually has more streaking on the flanks. Hence my suggested of Bay-breasted. Wouldn't bet my life on it as it can be a tough ID for even experienced birders, but I think it sounds reasonable.

Arthur Morris
09-13-2019, 02:35 PM
I believe that Dorian is correct. Blackpolls have yellow feet. First fall Pine has a dusky not white belly. All point to bay-breasted.

a

Jack Backs
09-14-2019, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the help. Now that I've looked at a few more Bay-breasted Warbler images, I would agree. Sweet, even though not the greatest, it's still my first image of one.