PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Peregrine taking off...

Kambiz Shoarinejad
09-05-2019, 11:32 PM
This is from a sequence of frames of a juvenile peregrine taking off a cliff...

Nikon D5, 600mm f/4E, f/4, 1/2000", ISO 1600, handheld, PP in C1Pro+PS CC

Colin Driscoll
09-06-2019, 10:13 PM
Nice light and detail. Not the best angle with the bird going slightly away. DOF is interesting. Was the active focus point on the far wing? Or is your lens slightly back focusing?

Kambiz Shoarinejad
09-06-2019, 11:39 PM
Nice light and detail. Not the best angle with the bird going slightly away. DOF is interesting. Was the active focus point on the far wing? Or is your lens slightly back focusing?

Thanks Colin. Agreed on the angle.

The intended active focus was on the eye and belly of the bird, which seem to be in focus as expected. I think the focus situation of the close and far wings has to do with the wing angles and their relative position with respect to my lens and to the resulting focus plane passing through the eye. So I am not exactly sure why you are suspecting back focus issue? That said, I have not yet fine tuned this particular lens with my D5. However, I have taken both the lens and the camera body to Nikon service in LA for the general CLA, and they claimed to have also slightly adjusted AF. I still hope to find some time to fine tune it myself.

Cheers
K.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-07-2019, 10:23 AM
A very nice flight shot with good composition and exposure. Nice wing position as well.

Aditya Sridhar
09-08-2019, 03:29 PM
Lovely shot! I agree about the slight head turn away from us, but other than that everything is spot on. Great sharpness and wing position!

John Mack
09-08-2019, 07:32 PM
Solid frame of this peregrine. Like the background. Bet you wished that near wing was more fully up.