PDA

View Full Version : Baboon sunset

Alex Becker
09-03-2019, 07:59 PM
Hi all,

A baboon from Kruger. Everyone talks about the great sunsets / light in Africa so you kind of expect it, but I was still blown away every night. This night was no different, and when driving back to camp I came across this baboon seemingly enjoying the sunset as well. Maybe a bit of a polarizing shot with no eye contact / subject looking away, so happy to find out if it works or not. In post, WB, slight crop, some curves, and NR.

Camera: Nikon D500
Lens: 70-200mm f/4
Specs: 1/1000 f/6.3 ISO 1,600

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
Alex

haseeb badar
09-03-2019, 09:51 PM
Hi Alex — I liked the idea behind the shot but its too dark for my liking. No problem with the lack of eye contact but the baboon is not getting separated from the scenery , the outline is not very peculiar.
Sorry, not working for me.

Steve Kaluski
09-04-2019, 03:57 AM
Hi Alex, to me the light is too low to create the backlit/rim light you were after, but then there may also be some PP done to this that may have effected the image????

You are not looking for detail here and in the past one or two folk have wanted to retain detail, however shots like this are more atmospheric than detailed. You may have found that tweaking things in camera like Picture styles & adjusting EV may have been a better starting point. Good that you tried something new, but sadly for me it isn't working because of the lack in rim light.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
09-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Hi Alex .... lovely sunset in combo with super colors .

But as an image it does not grab me .... i am with Steve and Haseeb about the technical side .

TFS Andreas

Alex Becker
09-04-2019, 05:19 PM
Thanks all, much appreciated. Great to get honest feedback with these types of shots :wave:

John Mack
09-08-2019, 07:17 PM
Like the idea behind this one. Agree with what the others have said. If the baboon was on a tree branch and silhouetted against that color in the sky would have been nice. But this is what you had to work with.