PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Mike Moats Wanna-be

James Parker
07-01-2008, 05:43 PM
I saw Mike's post a while back and tried to recreate it.;)

D2X
1/1250s
F/3.2
Aperature Priority
100 ISO
60mm Macro
No Flash

Roman Kurywczak
07-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi James,
I saw the title and cracked up! We're all Mike Moats wanna be's! I don't remember this type of post from him...........and since I love f32...........this may be dangerous territory for the response.......but here goes. I like the isolation of the flower/comp and BG..........lighting is soft and very nice also..........i find when I like these type of shallow DOF images........something needs to be tack sharp.like the leading edge of the flower........so this is close.........but we will wait until the "master" responds.........or Fabs.........she is great at these also.........or Julie.......OK....everyone but me! I'm addicted to f32!

Sharna Lee
07-01-2008, 07:21 PM
LOL Roman. Your nickname should be F32-Man.

I too cracked up when I saw the title. I think that Roman is correct. We're all Mike Moats wanna be's! I know I am.

I like the softness here though. I love the color and feel of this. It's so mysterious.

Sharna

Mike Moats
07-01-2008, 09:10 PM
If you want your images to look like mine you need to buy a good quality camera like a Fuji.:D

Jim, you came really close as the flower and BG colors looks just like the one I shot. Yours offers a little more of the flower than mine did but I like your comp as well.

Jim and I met for the first time last weekend as artists in the Crosby Festival Of Arts, in Toledo, Ohio. He is not only a photographer but a knife maker and he won an award in mixed media. On a weird note there is another nature photographer who I know that is from my area in Michigan that was also in this show, and his name is also James Parker.

Julie Kenward
07-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Yes, James, it's true...we are ALL Mike Moat's Wannabee's. :D Although technically I think this image is pretty well done, I think where you missed Mike's mark is in the artistic arena.

IMO (in my opinion) there are two main things that make Mike's work different than everyone elses - the angle at which he photographs his subjects and the degree of sharpness they tend to have (with the exception of his Lens Baby work.) Try experimenting with the framing of your subjects to bring even more interest to them. One of my favorite things to do is to set a potted plant on an outdoor table or ledge and start photographing it from every possible angle - below, above, off to the side, in close, backed up - make every image you possibly can to open you up to new compositions and move around the plant so you are constantly getting different lighting. Then, when you're out shooting a lovely flower like this one you will remember what angles gave you the most pleasing compositions and you can experiment with recreating your favorites in the field.

As for sharpness in macros, Mike's are either tack sharp, extremely fluid but very abstract, or soft with one good hard edge. To pull off extremely fluid and abstract here you would have to move in closer and grab just a petal or portion of the flower without all the stem. Otherwise, pick a hard edge (and remember this will be the focus of the photo so make it count.) When the whole flower is fluid with no hard edges for your eye to rest on it almost always feels simply OOF (out of focus) instead of intentionally OOF.

Rules are always made to be broken (I should know! :D) but try these out and see what you think!

James Parker
07-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks Julie I will try your suggestions. Jim

Sharna Lee
07-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Julie,
How totally awesome. I read your suggestion and I think I'll try that.
Thanks.

Sharna

Robert O'Toole
07-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Idea, comp and design are nice.

For me the DOF isnt an issue as I really cant get past the hot whites. Also the rest of the image is a little dark and flat.

Robert