PDA

View Full Version : Chipping Sparrow Protecting The Nest From the Rain.

Daniel Cadieux
08-18-2019, 03:01 PM
Yet another nest to photograph this year! The bonus this time? Located two feet outside my living room window and below eye level. My family and I observed it these last couple of weeks, from nest building all the way to the fledging of the chicks, and everything in between. Out came the window screen, and with the window open slightly I was able to document this from the small open gap. The chicks left he nest yesterday, and we are all feeling the "empty nest" syndrome LOL!:t3. On this occasion it was pouring rather hard, and despite leaf cover above, the water was too much, so the female stayed put to keep the eggs dry.

Canon 7DII + 100-400L @ 350mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/200s., f/10, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, FF, a few highlights tamed and/or removed.

dankearl
08-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Pretty amazing in the nest close-up...A bit more noise than you usually have, but a very intimate look.

annmpacheco
08-18-2019, 07:54 PM
How wonderful to experience the chipper and growing family Dan! i love the clear head, details, and the raindrops. Sweet!

Dorian Anderson
08-19-2019, 12:35 AM
Fun nesting view with great details. I cannot believe you have all these birds nesting on your property. I have a parking lot out back and no land of my own, so I am envious.

Krishna Prasad kotti
08-19-2019, 12:41 AM
Very nice Image. I like the head angle and water droplets.

TFS

Daniel Cadieux
08-19-2019, 04:44 AM
Thanks guys!

Dorian, only this nest was at my place. The others were quite close-by, but in a local forested area :-)

gail bisson
08-19-2019, 04:53 AM
Very nice intimate view.
I love the raindrops and the way her back and head are arched.
Crazy how many nests you photographed this year.
Gail

Arthur Morris
08-19-2019, 07:06 AM
Well conceived and executed. I'd have bet that you used flash as the image looks pretty darned good.

with love, a

John Mack
08-20-2019, 04:44 PM
Very nice nest image. Love the rain and the way the bird is posed.

Daniel Cadieux
08-20-2019, 05:21 PM
Well conceived and executed. I'd have bet that you used flash as the image looks pretty darned good.

with love, a

Thank Artie! I was fortunate this nest was in a low hydrangea tree/shrub, which has well spaced branches and leaves to let the overcast light through nice and evenly.