PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Pair

Joe Ford
07-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Glacier National Park, St Mary Visitor Center. An Osprey pair has taken up residence just across the parking lot from the visitor center. They have been there for several years, but have had only one successful fledge. That was in 2007. They appear to be sitting on eggs again this year, but no one has infringed on their space to check. I noticed that the male would bring the female a fish first thing in the morning so I set up down wind and with the soon to be rising sun directly at my back. I was hoping to catch the delivery of breakfast. The Osprey apparently did not check my schedule and breakfast was delivered before the sun was on the nest. I did catch some shots of the pair on the nest, and thought the attached was the best of the batch. The crop is pretty severe as I was trying to avoid the "human" element of the nesting tower. Thanks for looking and for comments.

Canon 1DmkIII
Canon 500 f4
Canon 1.4 TC
On tripod
No flash
1/500 f14 ISO 400

Joe Ford

Grady Weed
07-01-2008, 04:09 PM
I do like the left osprey's eye contact and that the right one seems to be looking at it's mate. The nest is clean and is a big plus, as most times they pick up hand of man materials to incorporate them into the nest. The right bird's leg seems a bit warm. the left bird's neck and breast have decent details. It appears like you got a nice image for what you had to go with.

I do not believe I have seen your work here before. So welcome to BPN!

Axel Hildebrandt
07-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I like the crop idea and interaction. Sharpness looks good, too. There seems to be a slight color cast and I would add a tad more room at the bottom. Keep them coming!

Fabs Forns
07-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Very nice image, Joe, I think warming the temperature may help?

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Very lovely image and I agree about warming the temperature. You did great getting both sharp and such good eye contact with both. Thanks for sharing !!

Ramon M. Casares
07-01-2008, 07:42 PM
I belive that crop was to remove the nesting tower, right? It looks strange, but is not bad at all, just a matter of tastes, other than that, I just love Ospreys and this picture is so nice that I envy you!!!

Arthur Morris
07-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Yes to a bit more room on the bottom, and yes to warming it up and/or increasing the SAT. One perfect and one good head angle. Do like the crop.