PDA

View Full Version : Theme Slender-billed Gull

Aditya Sridhar
08-15-2019, 05:35 PM
This image was shot at a local dock during sunset. I wonder if everyone else sees a weird green/cyan color cast to the water and the wings or if it's just my browser. My screen's calibrated, but this issue seems to have popped up over the past couple of weeks and it's incredibly frustrating. Adobe LR and PS do display colors accurately though so I wonder what the issue is.

All CC and suggestions are appreciated :S3:

EXIF
Camera - Nikon D850
Focal Length - 420mm
Aperture - f/7.1
Shutter Speed - 1/4000s
ISO - 1600
Handheld
Manual
Crop - 80% appx. of full frame

Colin Driscoll
08-15-2019, 11:14 PM
Very similar to the Australian Silver Gull. Not sure about the cast but it does look a bit flat. Nice even light.

Paul Burdett
08-16-2019, 12:45 AM
Very nice in flight shot. Should be easy to adjust the colour of the water in pp. I'd also increase the brighness of the BG a little...it's a little dark. TFS

Joseph Przybyla
08-16-2019, 05:54 AM
Hi Adi, lovely gull, nice wing position and sharpness. I have seen the color cast before, even worse than this image. In my experience it happens when there is strong reflected light form water or in my backyard from the lawn. When the subject is too close the reflected light seems to overpower the automatic white balance. I have tried without much success to remove the color cast. I tried the eyedropper in Lightroom to set the white balance using the white head of the bird but was undecided if it helped not knowing the true color of the bird and what the light was like when you captured the image. Thank you for sharing.

Geoffrey Montagu
08-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Wonderful flight capture, Aditya. Excellent wing position, fine detail, and I like the neatly tucked in feet.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Dorian Anderson
08-16-2019, 05:07 PM
Lovely sharp view of this species. Exposure looks good, and there is good detail in the body and wings. Near wing has some shadow, but this shot s more about the soft lighting on the bird's face. I have experienced the color cast issues
you describe, specifically when the bird is low over water or grass. I fid it difficult to spot - until someone else pints it out - and sometime a headache to fix. But I am not that good at processing to start!

gail bisson
08-17-2019, 05:15 AM
I keep looking at this and have to say that had you not mentioned the color cast I would not have noticed it at all.
I love the exposure on the whites and the way the wet chest feathers create that line against the dry head feathers.
Nice and sharp with beautiful light.

Moe Richard
08-17-2019, 11:47 AM
I don't find the color cast very noticeable and would not have found it unless you pointed it out. I think the exposure is fine and the light looks quite pleasing. I don't think I would change anything perhaps except maybe lighten up the beak half a stop to more closely match the feet.

Arthur Morris
08-19-2019, 07:47 AM
Love this super-sharp flight shot. The color of the water certainly looks within the natural range to me.

with love and thanks for your membership support.

artie

Aditya Sridhar
08-20-2019, 06:43 AM
Thanks everyone! For some reason, my laptop exaggerated the color cast outside of PS and LR. It had something to do with Dell's firmware updates so a roll-back fixed the problem to a certain extent.

Moe: This species' beak is noticeably darker than the feet, at least in Bahrain. Could be a regional variation but I'm not sure.