PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Egret Dip Fishing

Joseph Przybyla
08-11-2019, 03:18 PM
When the water level drops Snowy Egrets and Tri-colored Herons dip fish. Flying across the surface of the water, dragging their feet, flapping wings, plunging the head into the water when a fish is seen. The wading birds at Circle B Bar Reserve are found where the water level matches the way they fish and feed. Learn more about Circle B Bar Reserve in the BAA Middle Florida Photography Site Guide available on the Birds AS Art Online Store. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, image captured at 200mm
1/2000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV -1 ISO 400 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction, work on background to remove ripples from fleeing fish
Cropped for composition and presentation

Bill Dix
08-11-2019, 04:49 PM
Great illustration of this Snowy technique. I love the way he is dragging his "golden slippers". Thanks for sharing.

kevin Hice
08-11-2019, 04:55 PM
Nice Joe ,I also like the trailing feet with the water action.Whites look really good. TFS

Colin Driscoll
08-12-2019, 01:27 AM
Great behavioral shot. Not sure about all the blue in the shadows.

Joseph Przybyla
08-12-2019, 07:41 AM
Great behavioral shot. Not sure about all the blue in the shadows.

Hi Colin, thank you for viewing and commenting. Regarding the blue in the shadows... I chose to leave it as captured and natural. All shadows have blue light, most noticeable on white. Also some of the blue is what I would call ghosting from the wings beating and fluttering so fast to maintain the position above the water allowing the blue color of the water to show as the motion blurs the wings. Thanks again for commenting.