PDA

View Full Version : black skimmer landing...

annmpacheco
08-09-2019, 11:05 AM
Taken at Nickerson last week. I have a run of this guy with different wing positions just at the top of the grasses which i like for framing. This is one of my favorite frames from that shoot bc of the symmetry, soft light and the top of the colorful grasses. The underside feathers of the left wing show more motion blur than the other wing. Also, the lower mandible tip has beach sand adhered to it and i chose to leave it as is... I dodged the eyes to give some definition and also lassooed several dust spots in the BG. Hope you like it.

D5
850mm
HH
ISO 1600
1/2500

Geoffrey Montagu
08-09-2019, 02:29 PM
Superb!, Ann. First thing I noticed was the symmetry with the ever so slight angle separating the upper and lower beak. You even got a bit of foot in. Love the bird completely surrounded by the pastel green and yellow grasses with a few in focus blades up front.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

gail bisson
08-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Very very nice! Love that thin beak.
Nice and sharp. Light was beautiful indeed.
I would take a bit off the top or add a bit more to the bottom (personal taste) because he is landing.
Well done!
Gail

annmpacheco
08-09-2019, 04:15 PM
Very very nice! Love that thin beak.
Nice and sharp. Light was beautiful indeed.
I would take a bit off the top or add a bit more to the bottom (personal taste) because he is landing.
Well done!
Gail
Here's a repost Gail, WDYT?

gail bisson
08-09-2019, 05:55 PM
I now LOVVE LOVE this! A real showstopper and one for the wall!
Happy dance for you!

annmpacheco
08-09-2019, 06:13 PM
I now LOVVE LOVE this! A real showstopper and one for the wall!
Happy dance for you!
Thanks Gail, i should have stuck with my first choice but then after your suggestion I went back and worked the image, so glad i did. The grass is such an interesting anchor, I love the colors, the hues, and the omnidirectional sways... The accentuated lines of the skimmer are a terrific contrast to the grass and the young chick hidden and waiting.

Paul Burdett
08-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Ann. Yes, the repost is better. As Gail says...I'd be happy to have this on my wall!

Tim Foltz
08-09-2019, 09:23 PM
Ann, the repost is really nice the additional environment/plants makes it for me with all the textures going on. Super shot.

-Tim

Bill Dix
08-10-2019, 08:32 AM
The repost rocks! Congratulations on a lovely frame.

Joseph Przybyla
08-10-2019, 10:21 AM
Hey Ann, wonderful image. I prefer the repost, Gails suggestion I think was spot on. Thank you for sharing.

dankearl
08-10-2019, 08:44 PM
The repost is SO much better it is kind of amazing..
Goes to show how much the comp can affect the image no matter
how good the techs...
Nice work photographing and processing, noice work to Gail for
recognizing the right comp.

Krishna Prasad kotti
08-13-2019, 09:57 PM
Nice artistic feel to the image. Very different to regular Skimmer Images.

Repost is much better

TFS