PDA

View Full Version : Little Ringed Plover

Johannes Glännman
07-01-2008, 11:36 AM
This is my first picture on this forum. You dont need to be kind. Say what you feel about the picture as I am here to learn :)

Have a great day // johannes

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Jonte_rm/20080531-_DSC0075.jpg

John Chardine
07-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi Johannes- Considering you have side-lighting you have done a great job here. Love the low angle, the ground detail, composition and warm light. There's are couple of OOF light spots to the right of the bird and brighter one below, which you may want to burn-in or remove, if you are so inclined.

Roman Kurywczak
07-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi Johannes,
I agree with John's critique. If you did have a better light angle or maybe even hit it with a bit off fill flash....this could have been spectacular. Do post the specs so when we critique we may be able to offer specific areas that could be corrected.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Welcome to BPN, Johannes! Great first post. I like the angle, warm light and eye contact. It would have been better if the sun would have been behind you to light the bird better and to get a catchlight in the eye. Fill flash would have been an alternative. I might crop a bit off the top but not much and add a bit canvas on the left. Keep them coming!

Johannes Glännman
07-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Hello...

Thanks for the replies. Ofcourse it would have bin much better with the light on the "right" side of the bird. But it is a bit hard to just crawl around it... But I see what you mean. About fill flash. I have never tested it. I do have both a pop-up flash and Nikons big SB-800... Anyone that can give a hint on how to do and what to think of ? Dont you erase that natural light with a flash?

mvh // johannes

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Big welcome to you Johannes and a very lovely first post. Very nice composition and as already mentioned low angle. Will look forward to your future posts. thanks for sharing.

Arthur Morris
07-02-2008, 06:50 PM
By setting your flash close to zero, maybe -1/3 stop or so, you would simply be revealing the detail on the shadowed side of the bird. Excellent job however with the EXP. I do not like many sidelit bird photos but I do like this one.

Johannes Glännman
07-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Thank you both for the kind words and for the information about the flash... I will sure try it sometime when I am in a situation like this..

It makes me very happy you like the picture.

mvh // johannes