PDA

View Full Version : Cirl Bunting

SeanKP
07-01-2008, 11:09 AM
400mm DO with the 40D + 1.4TC, handheld.
ISO 200, Aperture Priority, F7.1 @ 1/400 sec. +1/3 EC
Slight crop.

I'd prefer a natural perch obviously but this was my first encounter with this species and beggars can't be choosers. The main issue I'm haveing with this one is the amount of contrast to apply in DPP. How does this look to you?
Thanks for looking.
Sean

carole wiley
07-01-2008, 12:57 PM
The perch doesn't bother me so much as the bird looks yellow overall. The framing looks good.

Alfred Forns
07-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi Sean Actually like the perch Fence looks good fading in the bg and its not obtrusive at all Do see a strong cast on the bird which will try to remove.

Also like the careful framing and placement within frame !! Like it a lot !!!

SeanKP
07-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Ouch! Alfred, this is the first time I've had any issue with any of your comments. The Cirl Bunting is a yellow bird. The colours in your version look horribly washed out to me. Sorry.

Harold Davis
07-01-2008, 02:39 PM
how about this one, sean? the bright bg on the left was bothering me. did a little color balance too. added a little USM. that fence has some yellow in it? it has to!!

worked it in CNX and used a color control point to change the color of that area. probably a little oversaturated near the frame, but you get the idea!!

Alfred Forns
07-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Got one more here Man this is one strange image to balance

Alfred Forns
07-01-2008, 03:38 PM
This is one tough image to balance !!!!! One more try just doing curves

Harold Davis
07-01-2008, 03:41 PM
hey, al!! that's exactly what i came up with!!! but i didnt think it looked right, so i winged it!! never having seen the bird, i didnt try to do too much to it and mainly worked the bright spot.

Alfred Forns
07-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Hi Sean The first try I did a correction based an duplicating the image, blurring then curves Normally works very well !!! It was really a bust !!

I think my last try is right on the money Did a conventional curves color adjustment Takes a little longer but it is more accurate !!! Sorry for the dud !!

SeanKP
07-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys. Absolutely no need to aplologise Alfred. I've learnt so much from you in the last few weeks and as you say, it's a toughie to get right, especially if you've not seen the bird 'in the feather'. Love your second go and also love what you've done with that bright spot Harold. Not too sure where that came from and it didn't bother me until you pointed it out but now you have, I can totally see that it needed to go.
Best wishes.
Sean

Alfred Forns
07-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks Sean!!! :)