PDA

View Full Version : Black Rhino

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Hi everyone,
Here is an image of a black rhino which we were lucky to spot and get close enough. AWB, small crop for composition.
5D IV
100-400 II
1/2000
f/7.1
ISO 3200

Gabriela Plesea
08-05-2019, 12:19 PM
Hello Sanjeev,

You were extremely lucky to get this close to a black rhino and the nice thing is, he was not hidden among vegetation. This chap looks quite old but in fairly good condition, although his face is a little scarred and ears quite tattered. I have not seen a rhino with its horn intact in a very long time so a very special image indeed.

Nice POV and head angle is great, I like the framing too. Techs look great and image is well exposed, nice detail and sharpness. I gather it was overcast and therefore the scene overall is a bit on the 'cool' side. If it was mine I would have added a bit of saturation and vibrance.

Cannot emphasise enough how precious this sighting is, and how rare - in SA a great number of rhino have been dehorned and these days there are very few who retained their full horn and live a 'normal' life.

Thank you so much for sharing Sanjeev, I enjoyed viewing,

Kind regards,

Andreas Liedmann
08-05-2019, 01:38 PM
Hi Sanjeev a lovely specimen of the black rhino ... great you saw one and could take images of him .
Framing looks good and you have nice detail extracted in the hide . Tones are looking very good processed for the given lighting .... for sure can be altered in a different way ( matter of taste ) . Sky is as is .... just pale and lifeless , but nothing you ca do about .
To give the image a bit pop and interest , if one likes it , i might work on the grass with some more different shades of greens / yellows ...just a thought .

TFS Andreas

John Mack
08-05-2019, 04:18 PM
Nice view of this rarity. Like the overall composition and the detail on the rhino.

haseeb badar
08-05-2019, 11:13 PM
Hi Doc -- This really is a cool image with a Rhino so majestically posing in an open area and with its horn intact.

Looks like a cloudy scene and hence a bit of warmth as mentioned above will add some pop to the image , but a matter of taste. You somehow manage to produce very good images with your 100-400mm lens , luck factor or what ?

nice one, TFS !

Steve Kaluski
08-06-2019, 05:05 AM
Hi Sanjeev, nicely done in what appears to be flat light with no real warmth.

As presented I would just lower the HL's in the sky. I also feel you could open it up a tad and reduce the blue which I feel is adding to both the grass & hide. Just a tad more neutral in the grey and add a sliver of saturation I feel helps, WDYT?

You somehow manage to produce very good images with your 100-400mm lens , luck factor or what ?

It's a good, universal lens Haseeb.

TFS
Steve

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-06-2019, 12:12 PM
Haseeb, I guess it is lucky for me (remember how I missed it in Bandhavgarh where I had the 200-400) but honestly it is a great lens for the size and price. IQ is very very good.