PDA

View Full Version : Azure Damselfly - Teneral

Jonathan Michael Ashton
07-01-2008, 10:59 AM
This is the teneral or immature Azure Damselfly
I was a little undecided regards cropping, when the reed seed head is bisected it looks odd, even though it is only partially in focus so bearing in mind last comments to give a little space - here goes.

Canon 20D Canon 180mm macro Canon 550EZ plus Stofen Omnibounce
ISO 200
AV Mode -1/3
1/200 sec @ f5
Fill in flash -1 stop

All comments welcome - particularly regards composition

Jon

Robert Amoruso
07-01-2008, 11:57 AM
I agree on your cropping choice as eliminating the OOF area would put the insect to close to the edge. The sharpness of the insect draws me in so the OOF seed head is not too distracting.

Alfred Forns
07-01-2008, 03:51 PM
I like it as presented Jonathan and find it a remarkable image !!! Great detail and luscious density !!! Big Congrats !!!

Roman Kurywczak
07-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi Jonathan,
My initial reaction was crop.......as I loved everything else excep for what you mentioned.......I held a piece of paper over where I thought it should be cropped........didn't like it........decided to play around in PS with the crop tool (my favorite :D) settled on the one posted............it definitely strenghtens the diagonal...........may be a bit tight for some tastes........but decided to post it so that you had another idea at least. Let me know what you think either way.

Mike Moats
07-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Hey Johnathan, great details on the damsel and agree it would have been nice with more focus on the perch. I would clone out the stem coming out of the seedhead, it tends to draw my eye there.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
07-02-2008, 02:54 AM
Roman,
you have done what I did, and it looks OK but I don't like the OOF area, I find it distracting. It does however permit a slightly closer view of the damselfly which I do like.
Mike,
I think your suggestion is a good one, as usual I ask myself, "why didn't I think of that?" If I got rid of the stem I could move things over to the right a little and crop the left a little and then I would have a slightly larger subject.
Thanks very much for your comments and suggestion, they are always very much appreciated.
Jon

John Cooper
07-02-2008, 04:37 AM
Superb detail Jon and great BG!!
I prefer your original composition - the blooms crammed up against the edge in the repost doesn't really work.