PDA

View Full Version : Gannet experiment

Mike Poole
08-03-2019, 09:20 AM

I was with Artie at Bempton shooting the incoming birds - of which there were more than plenty - and I went for something a bit different. I reckon Artie must have hear a different sound from my camera as he asked what I was doing, and we had a short discussion on shutter speeds for blurs (something I don't normally like). As a result I upped my shutter speed a little and this was my favourite from the session.

Canon 1dx
500mm f4is
ISO 160 (didn't know that setting existed in the UK!!)
1/250th f9

Mike

Bill Dix
08-03-2019, 04:13 PM
Hi Mike. I'm not normally a big fan of blurs either. But I really like this one - sort of a hybrid blur. Sharp on the head, with a good motion blur of the wings, and a wonderful flight position. Of course it would have also been great with a higher ISO and SS, but I'd love to have this one.

annmpacheco
08-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Interesting and i like it Mike. I especially like this image bc everything but wing tips are blurred! Well done. I'm not sure I understand what you said about "upping the shutter speed" Does this mean you change SS on the fly? Ive yet to attempt a "blur", only when I shoot oof!!!

Mike Poole
08-03-2019, 05:57 PM
Hi Mike. I'm not normally a big fan of blurs either. But I really like this one - sort of a hybrid blur. Sharp on the head, with a good motion blur of the wings, and a wonderful flight position. Of course it would have also been great with a higher ISO and SS, but I'd love to have this one.

Cheers for that Bill, Its a place I'm lucky to go to fairly regular and at this spot they were queuing up to land, so once I got the sharp ones I thought - why not! Thanks for commenting

Mike

Mike Poole
08-03-2019, 05:59 PM
Interesting and i like it Mike. I especially like this image bc everything but wing tips are blurred! Well done. I'm not sure I understand what you said about "upping the shutter speed" Does this mean you change SS on the fly? Ive yet to attempt a "blur", only when I shoot oof!!!

Cheers Ann, This was a new technique for me, and it turns out I was trying it with too low a shutter speed. All the ones around 1/60th came out blurred all over which was not what I wanted. Upping the speed to 1/250th gave me just a couple of keepers

Mike

dankearl
08-03-2019, 07:59 PM
I Think this works really well...A lot of sharpness for 1/250, most people would be happy
with this as a traditional flight photo...

greg cowle
08-04-2019, 07:06 AM
Successful experiment, I'd say. Great to see a unique take on the subject.

Daniel Cadieux
08-04-2019, 07:21 AM
It's a fun image, and always a pleasure to experiment in-camera. The amount of blur feels just right to me.

John Mack
08-04-2019, 08:09 AM
I like it. The blurred wing tips with the sharp head give a nice sense of motion.

William Dickson
08-05-2019, 09:55 AM
This is nice Mike...The blur brings the image 'alive'. Never tried it myself, I would probably be too involved in getting the flight shot. But, if you have lots to chose from then yes, worth trying.

Will

Mike Poole
08-06-2019, 10:57 AM
Thanks everyone, glad you liked something a little different

Mike