PDA

View Full Version : Moraine Lake at Sunrise

Paul Kammen
07-31-2019, 08:58 PM
Really enjoyed being at Lake Moraine and seeing it for the first time two weeks ago. This was at sunrise and is a HDR combo of 5 exposures. Canon 7DII, f14, 10mm, 10-22mm lens. Thanks for any feedback, was thinking of entering it into a competition down the line. Processed with Adobe RAW, converted to HDR with HDR Effects Pro 2.

Krishna Prasad kotti
08-07-2019, 06:23 AM
You got a nice sky going on and I like the water colors.

What was the need for going with HDR to combine 5 exposures ? You could have used GND filters in the field to take a single exposure ?

TFS

Paul Kammen
08-08-2019, 09:16 PM
You got a nice sky going on and I like the water colors.

What was the need for going with HDR to combine 5 exposures ? You could have used GND filters in the field to take a single exposure ?

TFS

Thanks, I actually shoot mostly birds but am trying to do more landscape. I have a circular polarizer and neutral density filter but only had the cheap plastic grad filters. After seeing the guide I worked with using them, I decided to purchase a set and am waiting on it, I picked up the NiSI Professional Kit III that I'm anxious to try out, hopefully it'll be in by later this month.

John Mack
08-18-2019, 10:20 AM
You had some great clouds. Another beautiful scene. I wish the foreground rocks weren't there. I would like to see a lot of them or none. You could always just bracket and compine the exposures in post. I don't think you would need five maybe 2-3. One for the highlights and one for the shadows.

Andrew McLachlan
08-24-2019, 10:47 AM
As presented it appears a little over-saturated especially on the mountain range. Agree on excluding the rocks. John summed that up well..show a lot of them or none of them. I would suggest re-examining your original 5 exposures and re-edit them in ACR as I am certain given the over-cast conditions you were presented with that you probably have one frame that will work, without the need for HDR processing.

Paul Kammen
08-29-2019, 09:54 PM
As presented it appears a little over-saturated especially on the mountain range. Agree on excluding the rocks. John summed that up well..show a lot of them or none of them. I would suggest re-examining your original 5 exposures and re-edit them in ACR as I am certain given the over-cast conditions you were presented with that you probably have one frame that will work, without the need for HDR processing.

Thanks, I did bring down the mountain range a bit. I've gotten different opinions on the rocks; my guide said to keep them, liked the amount of them; another judge said in another image the rocks were too strong when I included more of them. I did shoot RAW so lots to work with, and was happy to take in the sunrise and get some fog. A real nice morning out there. I'll continue to tweek it here and there.