PDA

View Full Version : Andean Motmot - Colombia

Dorian Anderson
07-29-2019, 11:17 AM
This guy came to a feeder array outside Manizales. I went headshot to keep the offered and crappy perch food out of the frame.

Notta lotta light under the cloud and canopy....

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS 1DX2
1/200 at f/5.6, ISO 1600
Processed in LR CC. NR specifically on background.

Joseph Przybyla
07-29-2019, 12:02 PM
Hey Dorian, colorful bird, I like the portrait. The feathers look like the bird may be molting? The depth of field falls off away from the plane of the eye. Thank you for sharing a bird I will probably never see.

dankearl
07-29-2019, 04:12 PM
Nasty looking portrait...I would clean up the eyeball.

annmpacheco
07-29-2019, 05:11 PM
Hey Dorian, good looking motmot, maybe darkening the blue head feathers, or toning down the highlights there. Yes to cleaning up the eye, love the two lone black necklace feathers. Wonderful colors. TFS

Dorian Anderson
07-29-2019, 06:02 PM
Nasty looking portrait...I would clean up the eyeball.

Thanks, but going to leave the eye as it. That's what shooting under cloud and canopy yields; anything else will look artificial and/or overly manipulated.
You just don't get the nice catchlights in tropical shooting......

Dorian Anderson
07-29-2019, 06:03 PM
Hey Dorian, colorful bird, I like the portrait. The feathers look like the bird may be molting? The depth of field falls off away from the plane of the eye. Thank you for sharing a bird I will probably never see.

Yeah, focus point is right between eye and bill. Sadly, tropical shooting doesn't usually offer the light for much DOF!

Alex Becker
07-29-2019, 07:44 PM
Nice portrait. I agree the blues could be toned down just a bit on the top. Details look good. Good sharpness at the lower shutter speed. TFS