PDA

View Full Version : "Tell me about your day, dear"

Richard Stern
07-01-2008, 07:13 AM
A pair of Herring Gulls on Sambro Island, Nova Scotia recently.

D300, Tamron 200-500,
Shutter Speed = 1/8000 second
Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 71/10 = F7.1
Exposure Program = aperture priority (3)
ISO Speed Ratings = 1100.
I set things for a fast shutter speed as I was hand holding the camera and lens from a gently rocking fishing boat. I hope the bg isn't too distracting.

Richard

Alfred Forns
07-01-2008, 09:28 AM
I like the interaction Richard !! Wonder what are they saying to each other

Would like to see a little more room for the birds Imagine the tendency is to go tight and fill the frame but you want them to fill about 75% of the frame. Whites sure look good Excellent exposure and good light !!!

John Chardine
07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Hi Richard-Very nice portrait of the pair. I like the way the grass frames the birds. Agree with Al about a bit more room needed, mainly at top IMO. You can really see the difference between male and female here. Males have a flatter forehead compared to rounded female's, and the male is bigger.

Roman Kurywczak
07-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi Richard,
I do like the lighting and comp on this one. Crop is fine for me but I'm know for liking them too tight! I find the grass and shape of the perch rock make this one for me! Very nice!

Axel Hildebrandt
07-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Nice interaction. Another vote for a wider crop. The only thing I find a bit distracting is the black spot in the BG on the left.

Arthur Morris
07-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Good suggestions by Alfred and John. Any bit higher that you could have gotten would have helped. And yes to more room at the top.