PDA

View Full Version : Barrow's Goldeneye Drake in flight #3

Bill Dix
07-26-2019, 09:08 AM
These guys would float down the fast-moving Laxa River for perhaps 500 meters, snacking along the way, and then turn around and fly back up river. We positioned ourselves at the mid-point of that journey. The challenge was to spot them as soon as they appeared from around the bend in the river to our left, track them and lock focus as soon as possible before they zipped past us, usually close to the water. Locking focus was often difficult against the moving water, so my keeper rate was poor, but I got lucky on a few.

D500, 500PF, ISO 800, 1/6400s @ f/6.3 manual, HH.

dankearl
07-26-2019, 11:26 AM
You nailed it, Bill... flight angle is nice, whites are good, wing position not bad..
Too be picky, maybe just a tad more in front and a tad less behind.

gail bisson
07-26-2019, 01:07 PM
You have saved the best one for #3.
Really good. I know how close and fast these guys fly to the water and am really impressed with sharpness, IQ and exposure.
I love the trail of water drops created by the wing.
This is EXCELLENT Bill.
Gail

John Mack
07-26-2019, 06:23 PM
Very nice flight frame. Like the composition and the touch of splashing water.

Dorian Anderson
07-26-2019, 06:55 PM
This is really nice, Bill! The body is perfectly lit and sharp from tip to tail!I personally love the detail on the orange feet. It's rare that anything other than full upstroke or full downstroke works, and this is one of those times. There is nice separation from the water, but there is still plenty of wavy texture to appreciate. Envious as I've never managed to photo this species.

Geoffrey Montagu
07-27-2019, 08:57 PM
Beautifully captured, Bill. Ticks all the boxes and what a keeper this one is. I like that you left the take off splash from most likely the female as they headed back up the river.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Bill Dix
07-30-2019, 08:14 AM
Thank you all. I believe Gail is correct; the splash is caused by the low-flying bird's wing tip hitting the water.