PDA

View Full Version : Bar-headed Goose portrait

Aditya Sridhar
07-25-2019, 06:30 PM
I photographed this Bar-headed Goose at St. James's Park in London. The blue in the background is the lake and the green is the reflection of a treeline on the opposite bank. I had to clone out some mud on the bird's bill and head (talk about lack of personal hygiene!).

Camera - Nikon D850
Focal Length - 300mm
Aperture - f/4
Shutter Speed - 1/1600s
ISO - 160
Handheld
Manual
Crop - 80% appx.

The bird wasn't baited or attracted by call playback, but it was super tame. Thanks for viewing and, as always, comments and critiques are appreciated :bg3:

Adi

John Mack
07-25-2019, 07:07 PM
Pretty neat looking goose. Like the composition and the light looks nice as well. The two toned background is another plus.

Tim Foltz
07-25-2019, 07:50 PM
Adi, nice portrait shot a bit to centered for me and I wish you used a higher f stop for greater details throughout. Nice exposure and sweet BG colors.

-Tim

annmpacheco
07-25-2019, 09:41 PM
Great looking goose, lovely as is but echo Tim's suggestion of higher f stop for details throughout, specifically the lower neck area.

arash_hazeghi
07-26-2019, 12:20 AM
Tim nailed it

TFS

Mervyn Marsh
07-26-2019, 01:29 AM
Looks really nice, the eyes look so sharp, well done, Merv

Aditya Sridhar
07-26-2019, 05:20 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments! I agree on having more DOF. One more detail to add to a long list of things to remember while shooting, I suppose :t3

gail bisson
07-26-2019, 03:08 PM
Yes to more DOF but everything else rocks. Great exposure, nice transitioning BG and gotta love that eye.
Gail

Krishna Prasad kotti
07-26-2019, 06:36 PM
I like the two tone background and the head angle.

I feel for this kind of situation, go with Aperture priority with Auto ISO + EV compensation.

Once you get the right exposure with adjusting the EV, you can change the Aperture to have more depth of field. keep adding more depth of field and take multiple shots etc.

TFS

Aditya Sridhar
07-26-2019, 06:48 PM
I like the two tone background and the head angle.

I feel for this kind of situation, go with Aperture priority with Auto ISO + EV compensation.

Once you get the right exposure with adjusting the EV, you can change the Aperture to have more depth of field. keep adding more depth of field and take multiple shots etc.

TFS

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot next time :bg3:

Dorian Anderson
07-26-2019, 07:05 PM
Colors and contrast make for a really striking image, Adi. More DOF would have made this even better, and you certainly had the light for it. Great look at the eye and beak as it!