PDA

View Full Version : Red-rumped Parrot

Colin Driscoll
07-24-2019, 07:40 AM
A male Red-rumped Parrot. These are small birds not much larger than a Budgerigar and I have been trying for a while to get a decent shot.
They are a bit flighty and feed on the ground in low grass so there is always something in the way.
I managed to develop a rapport with this one and I hope I have done him justice.
1DXII 600mm F/4L III 1/320 f5.6 iso800 -0.3ev HH
Slight crop and light sharpen in PS. Removed a stray white feather.

Aditya Sridhar
07-24-2019, 08:36 AM
What a stunning bird! That's probably the best combination of colors I've ever seen on a bird.

I find the grass a bit too distracting personally. If it were possible to get even lower, that would've probably made the bird stand out more. Given the circumstances, you've done really well. Keep developing the bond with the bird. Hope you eventually get this bird on freshly mowed grass. Even if you don't get "the shot", at least you've made a beautiful friend :t3

Alex Becker
07-24-2019, 09:49 AM
Great looking bird, and the colors work well with the surrounding, but I do find the setting distracting. A lower angle would have helped as mentioned above. May be worth trying to pick a spot and throw a camo net over your lens to break up the shape. I would try to up the shutter speed as well. TFS

Moe Richard
07-24-2019, 11:56 AM
Very lovely pastel plumage variations. Difficult composition due to the position of the bird. I think your point of focus was on the body rather than the eye.

gail bisson
07-24-2019, 02:07 PM
I have to agree with the above comments but I still really like the image.
You have a great bird, nice comp.
Gail