PDA

View Full Version : Orange Minivet

Aditya Sridhar
07-23-2019, 04:21 PM
It's always a nice feeling to dig through old archives and reprocess some photos. This image of an Orange Minivet was shot during my trip to India in the winter of 2017. I was actually shooting black kites and sunbirds when this beauty popped up on a nearby tree. It's quite difficult to manage the Orange on the breast as it tends to get blown out very easily. In my processing, I toned it down and opted to be more conservative with the saturation than go OTT with the colors.

Camera - Nikon D850
Focal Length - 420mm
Aperture - f/5.6
Shutter Speed - 1/1600s
ISO - 1100
Handheld
Manual

The bird wasn't baited or attracted by call playback. Thanks for viewing and, as always, comments and critiques are appreciated :bg3:

Adi

Krishna Prasad kotti
07-23-2019, 06:13 PM
Colors look really nice. When I was watching this image in my Mobile, I thought of a different composition which involved taking some canvas at the top.
I am not quite sure when I saw this image in the monitor.
I love the leaves (Coconut Leaves), and can relate to them a lot.

I would sharpen the bird a little bit more.

TFS

John Mack
07-23-2019, 08:27 PM
Neat looking little bird. Like the diaganol lines that the leaves of the perch makes. Yes to another round of sharpening.

gail bisson
07-24-2019, 04:50 AM
I love the bird and the grey complimentary BG but the palm fronds are a bit overwhelming. They really pull my eye away from this colorful bird.
I would change the crop to a landscape orientation and decrease the amount of leaves at the bottom.
But, oh, what a beautiful bird!
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
07-24-2019, 06:18 AM
Gorgeous bird indeed! I'm gonna go opposite of Gail this time (which is rare!) - I would have pointed the lens down to place the subject higher (and a bit closer to the left edge too) and add more leaves below. I love those flaming oranges, very nice.

Aditya Sridhar
07-24-2019, 08:17 AM
Thanks all for the feedback! I've attached a couple of different versions based on Gail's and Daniel's suggestions. I've also sharpened them more compared to the original post as suggested by Krishna and John. I think this is a difficult image to balance in terms of deciding whether to keep the leaves or not. On one hand, they have some character but I see how they may be distracting for some.

Moe Richard
07-24-2019, 12:07 PM
I think I like the first crop the best as the perch is less noticeable. I might crop the first image a little tighter but not much. Fascinating bird with good color, detail.

gail bisson
07-24-2019, 01:56 PM
Love the first one but gotta to say that Daniel's idea is growing on me.