PDA

View Full Version : Honey Badger

Ken Watkins
07-01-2008, 03:42 AM
After following a Honey Badger for some time in the early hours, we stopped suddenly a Cobra reared up at the rear of the vehicle. The Honey Badger calmy walked up and dispatched it with one blow of his paws and a quick bite. Unfortunately the majority of this action took place at under the rear of the vehicle and was impossible to get at with my camera. Nevertheless I got this of him enjoying his meal.

Taken at Selinda Reserve, Northern Botswana
EOS 1D MkII
300mm F4 IS hand held
F5, 1/250, ISO400

carole wiley
07-01-2008, 08:22 AM
This looks a bit soft to me and I would prefer more room. I would like to have the front feet in there. A great find though. I think I would have been shaking too much to get a picture.

Robert Amoruso
07-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Ken,

An interesting lighting problem. The badger is flat in contrast but the BG is high in it. I downloaded and did the following.

1) Curves Adjustment using a reverse s-curve.
2) Ran action I have for Local COntrast Enhancement using a high pass smart filter varying opacity and blending mode to my liking.
3) USM at 175/0.3/0

Nice expression and I like his hair cut. :)

Roman Kurywczak
07-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi Ken,
I like the action. Robert's repost sure bought out more detail including the flies on the head. Some of the BG elements in the upper part of the frame are a bit distracting and maybe a slight crop or toning down would help. We don't normally get to see these guys so this is a treat!