PDA

View Full Version : Sandwich tern (Thalasseus sandvicensis)

Jonathan Ashton
07-22-2019, 05:29 AM
Hand held taken at Cemlyn Bay , Anglesey

Image input equipment model : E-M1X
LensModel : OLYMPUS M.40-150mm F2.8
Lens focal length : 150 mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 300.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
Photographic Sensitivity : 640
Exposure bias : 0 EV
Exposure time : 1/3200 sec
F number : F5.6
Flash : OFF

ACR + PSCC

gail bisson
07-22-2019, 06:36 AM
I have always liked this wing position because it shows how fast they are.
Great to see the eye on both species.
The clouds really help the BG .
Sun a bit high but not an image killer.
You must had increased the saturation of the blue sky because you have an imperfect triangular selection between the 2 wings where the sky is white. Also see some blue on tip of feather on near wing.Easy fix.
Gail

Steve Kaluski
07-22-2019, 07:20 AM
Hi Jon, nice and clean, black & whites look nicely controlled and cool to have the fish.

Love the transition of the 'powder blue' sky and again, the blue appears spot on. Agree with Gail re those two areas, masking and perhaps the other part of the wing behind??? Detail is far better than previous, albeit you could tease out a fraction more to add a bit more definition in the wing. My only thought would be to blow in some more colour over the back to hide the cloud. Could you use a CPL or drop-in to aid capture????

Looks like things are finally falling into place and you will be all set for November.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
07-22-2019, 08:42 AM
Gail, Steve, yes hands up I messed up the mask there! I had done several versions trying to teas out the detail and remove the blue from the plumage, should have left it until this morning before posting.
Never thought about a polariser Steve - something to bear in mind. Probably no opportunities this year now have to wait until next, most of the birds had gone when I went.

Steve Kaluski
07-22-2019, 08:57 AM
Never thought about a polariser Steve - something to bear in mind.

Indeed Jon, taking some new stuff out next month and awaiting Canon also to call me, will let you know on my return.

Jonathan Ashton
07-22-2019, 10:44 AM
Indeed Jon, taking some new stuff out next month and awaiting Canon also to call me, will let you know on my return.
Yes but no interest in Canon anymore thanks anyway.

Steve Kaluski
07-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Yes but no interest in Canon anymore thanks anyway.

Jon, I am aware you have move to Olympus, therefore what I will be using mainly might have been of interest, but not to worry.

William Dickson
07-22-2019, 01:50 PM
Very nice Jon...Love the colours throughout the image. Nice detail on the bird, with a lovely flight pose.

Will

John Mack
07-22-2019, 05:19 PM
Nice view of this tern and the fish. Like the sleek look of the wing. The blue sky with clouds is nice as well.

Krishna Prasad kotti
07-22-2019, 11:54 PM
Prey adds to the image. Wing position is nice.

Light is less than Idea but still this image works well.

TFS