PDA

View Full Version : Sandwich tern (Thalasseus sandvicensis)

Jonathan Ashton
07-19-2019, 10:53 AM
Hand held, taken at Cemlyn Bay,Anglesey
Image input equipment model : E-M1X
Lens focal length : 300 mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 601.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
Photographic Sensitivity : 320
Exposure bias : +0.3 EV
Exposure time : 1/4000 sec
F number : F4.5
Flash : OFF

Dorian Anderson
07-19-2019, 04:38 PM
Nice catch with the fish in beak, but the overhead shooting angle and steep light make this a tough one for me.

John Mack
07-19-2019, 09:00 PM
The light is what it is. Like the fish.

Steve Kaluski
07-20-2019, 04:40 AM
Hi Jon, clean and simple, but the lack of detail in the under wing is less than ideal for me, however I wouldn't say the shooting angle is steep. Perhaps a bit more DoF too, but not sure on what to suggest with this kit.

Jonathan Ashton
07-20-2019, 05:44 AM
Hi Jon, clean and simple, but the lack of detail in the under wing is less than ideal for me, however I wouldn't say the shooting angle is steep. Perhaps a bit more DoF too, but not sure on what to suggest with this kit.
Thanks Steve, yes still messing about with settings. I deliberately tried differing settings this is one of the few at such a wide aperture. The problem as you will probably realise is that terns move fore and aft and laterally so when you decide on a specific setting there is a good chance the anticipated scenario has changed. There are plenty more to show over time , some a little better.

Steve Kaluski
07-20-2019, 07:44 AM
The problem as you will probably realise is that terns move fore and aft and laterally so when you decide on a specific setting there is a good chance the anticipated scenario has changed

I think Jon it's called 'Sods Law', however it seems that there is a whole lot more you can do to aid to obtaining the capture, but getting all those 'ducks' in a row appears very labour intensive. I am sure I will get a crash cousrse next month if I want it, but I doubt I would ever jump and to process the files still IMHO leaves a lot... but I wouldn't say no to the kit weighing less. :bg3: