PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Pardalote

Paul Burdett
07-19-2019, 01:36 AM
My wife and I spent 3 lovely nights at Montville (an hour north of Brisbane), and I was able to snap a few birds at a local rainforest park. I would have like this Spotted Pardalote to have been on a lower branch, but it was not going to be. It was very low light and so I had to use my 580EXii flash set to ETTL. I'm not an expert when it comes to flash, but I'm happy with this one.
Canon 7Dii, 100-400@371mm, 1/400th sec, f5.6, iso500 in manual mode. Feedback always appreciated and learned from. Thanks.

Jonathan Ashton
07-19-2019, 12:13 PM
I quite honestly never thought flash had been used, it didn't occur to me until I read your text. I lke the colours and exposure, the only thing for me is that you were pointing up to the subject, I appreciate you take what you are offered but looking uphill doesn't do it for me- sorry.

Krishna Prasad kotti
07-19-2019, 12:56 PM
Flash works well here to fill in the shadows.

Steep shooting angle does not work here.

TFS

Dorian Anderson
07-19-2019, 04:46 PM
Flash was a wise move, but the overhead shooting angle is really tough and leaves you with DOF issues; everything falls off from the eye. I'd add a bit more on the left side of the frame if you end up keeping this.

John Mack
07-19-2019, 09:12 PM
The flash looks well balanced. Pretty neat looking bird. Nothing you could do about the steep angle. Looks pretty nice background wise for shooting in the forest.

Paul Burdett
07-19-2019, 11:40 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. As I said, I would have liked the bird at eye height, but I'm still ok with the angle as is...I know others aren't.
Jonathan: I'm glad the flash wasn't overdone...some of Glenn Bartley's tips helped here.
Dorian: In regards to the crop, why do you feel it needs more on the LHS? (the original does have more)
Cheers.

Paul Burdett
07-20-2019, 12:46 AM
I decided to post another view of the same Pardalote. I feel this is a better view (not so much looking up) and HA. Thoughts?
Cheers.

gail bisson
07-20-2019, 10:10 AM
What a wonderful bird and I would be really happy to have either frame.
I like the secong image a lot more because the crop has made it look less steep. The tighter crop has lessened the IQ of the image so I would add some canvas right and left. I love the HA on the second post.

Paul Burdett
07-20-2019, 05:37 PM
Hi Gail. Thank you for the feedback. We often go to Montville for some R&R. Mary Cairncross Park was developed some years ago, and used to be a good place for a picnic etc. Now there is a reserve there. The light is quite low as is usual for a "rainforest" setting, so I had to use flash, so I'm glad it looks ok. I was hoping to see a Noisy Pitta, but there's more chance in Spring/Summer. They're very elusive colourful birds...one of my bucket list birds...have never seen one yet, but they're supposed to be at this park...oh well. Next time you're "down under"?? it's worth a view. Having second thoughts about the hide at Inala, although Tasmania is calling me again! Cheers.
https://www.mary-cairncross.com.au/

greg cowle
07-24-2019, 05:35 AM
Would not have guessed this was flashed, very well done. Prefer the second post.

Paul Burdett
07-25-2019, 01:44 AM
Thanks Greg...yes, flash has always been a confusing part of my photography, but i'm getting better. Cheers.