PDA

View Full Version : Theme Hoopoe

Kalin Botev
07-17-2019, 03:18 PM
Hey all,
I just saw the July theme and could not stop myself from posting three of my favourite images. All of them bring back great memories. I hope you will like them.
I am not sure if I posted this image before. I am sorry if I did. This particular hoopoe is like kind of a family member to me. They come in Spring to breed and go back to Africa in the Autumn. Finding a suitable spot gets harder each year so when I saw one searching for a hole in a pile of stones in early spring and hoped it will make its nest there but it did not like the place. So I decided that next spring I will make a hole in the pile and hope for the best. And I got lucky. A couple of hoopoes nested inside and I was able to observe their life for a month. It was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had.
Thanks for your comments and advises!
Kalin

The technical details:
Camera Info
Device: Nikon D3
Lens: 300mm f/4D
Focal Length: 300mm

Exposure
Aperture: f/8
Shutter Speed: 1/2500s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: -0.3EV
Metering: Spot
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 1100

Post processing:
Levels, sharpness, noise reduction and crop.

Bill Dix
07-17-2019, 04:10 PM
What a wonderful shot. I can clearly see why it's a favorite. The light, insect in the beak, downwing flight position are great, and the setting of a spring wildflower "garden" tops it off. For me, the rock in the left foreground is unfortunate and takes the eye somewhat away from the spectacular Hoopoe, but you take what you can get.

William Dickson
07-17-2019, 06:25 PM
Great story Kalin and a nice photograph. I like the detail you captured and the lovely flight pose. If the IQ holds I would try cropping this a wee bit tighter, but, a pretty picture as is.

Will

Daniel Cadieux
07-17-2019, 07:39 PM
Fantastic prairie summer feel. I love the flowers and grasses, and the mountainous BG. Nice colours throughout. I'd try lifting the blacks a little more if mine, and maybe removing two dark spots in front of the subject. Well-balanced comp, and the insect is too neat!!

kevin Hice
07-17-2019, 08:47 PM
Fantastic shot love the downhill angle of the bird goes well with the setting. Capturing the bird with a snack just adds to the image.Perfect wing position.
All the flowers in the meadow what a serene place to shoot. TFS Kalin

gail bisson
07-18-2019, 05:21 AM
This is beautiful Kalin and I love how you were rewarded for your thoughtfulness!
I would lift the blacks on the wing but otherwise a beautiful frame.
Gail

Kalin Botev
07-18-2019, 02:56 PM
Thanks for your comments, gentlemen! It really was a special spring for me. The stone on the left is the top of the pile of rocks where the nest was. The birds were coming and going and they usually aimed for that stone, land on it and then drop down to the hole. Lifting the blacks is a good idea and I will put some work into it.
Thanks again!
K

John Mack
07-18-2019, 05:07 PM
Nice frame with a lovely setting the prey alos takes it up another notch. Well done.