PDA

View Full Version : Puffin on a rainy day...

Karl Günter Wünsch
01-09-2008, 01:17 PM
http://www.lithos-mineralien.de/naturescapes/lunga-20050614-img_0183_ns.jpg
In 2005 I was lucky to get to Lunga (island off the scottish west coast belonging to the Threshnish Isles) just as the weather turned bad. At first I was pretty disapointed but that quickly turned into one of the most amazing photo opportunities I ever experienced. Contrary to the day before - when the weather was fine - the puffins were all active redecorating their burrows...
Canon 20D, EF 70-200 f/2.8L + 1.4x Extender II @ 280mm, f/5.6, 1/250, ISO 200.
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Jim Poor
01-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Its neat to see this with something in his mouth other than fish :) I like the nest material and the rain drops add to it as well.

Jody Melanson
01-09-2008, 03:43 PM
I think this is a great behavioral, environmental image, Karl. Love the raindrops. Maybe ease up on the Saturation in the reds? And brighten the face a tad?

Karl Günter Wünsch
01-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Maybe ease up on the Saturation in the reds? And brighten the face a tad?
The beak of the birds is quite brightly red. It was early in the breeding season, later the colour will fade and it was wet which meant that the beak was clean (which is not the case on a dry sunny day), so I rather would keep it like it is.
The same is true on the face as the birds exhibited quite a range of face colours from almost white to quite dark grey... I would have liked to have a stronger eye reflex but on a dull day without flash that's quite something to ask for :-)
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Glenn Bartley
01-09-2008, 05:56 PM
A very nice image. I think Id actually prefer a higher shooting angle. The habitat is really nice. I hope to get to photograph these beauties some day.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Willkommen, Karl. Very nice behavior image. I only wish for a slightly higher angle.

Viele Grüße!