PDA

View Full Version : Green-and-black Fruiteater

Dorian Anderson
07-16-2019, 07:05 PM
This frame is a huge departure from my usual super clean backgrounds, but I did this deliberately.
This Andean cotinga inhabits Subtropical and Temperate Forest (~5,000 - 10,000 feet) from Western
Venezuela south to Central Peru. They forage in the tops of trees, and thick foliage rarely offers a clear
view. This male was descending to a feeding station, but I decided to shoot him in representative habitat
instead. So many tropical shots are set-up (mine included), and I really wanted to use this opportunity
to show this striking species as one would observe it in the wild. This feels more like a field photo than a
set-up, and that's exactly what I wanted to achieve. I know this won't be for everyone......

Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS II on EOS 1DX Mark II
1/100 at f/5.6, ISO 2000, tripod

Processed in LR CC. I selectively reduced the exposure on the various leaves to combat glare on them.
I think it was a fairly subtle fix that helps accentuate the bird against the foliage.

Arthur Morris
07-16-2019, 07:13 PM
But for the intruding stick on the right frame-edge, I do not mind the habitat at all. But, playing devil's advocate, if the bird lives and forages in the tops of trees and came down to a feeder, how natural is it?

Sharp with a good exposure and a lovely right foot!

with love, artie

Dorian Anderson
07-16-2019, 07:17 PM
But for the intruding stick on the right frame-edge, I do not mind the habitat at all. But, playing devil's advocate, if the bird lives and forages in the tops of trees and came down to a feeder, how natural is it?

with love, artie

More natural than a completely exposed perch, but I hear what you're saying! Were it not for the disclosure, I think it would be easy to pass this off as wholly natural. The same can rarely be said of truly set-up shots.

And since you've mentioned it, the little stick is now bothering me as well. An easy fix. Cheers!

annmpacheco
07-16-2019, 09:51 PM
Way to go Dorian, glad to see your image and commending you for your efforts to shoot these high altitude birds. Not easy and certainly hard work. What a pretty creature!

dankearl
07-16-2019, 10:40 PM
Thanks for another rare bird treat.. You could even
clean this one up a bit for a more "artistic" shot if desired.

Colin Driscoll
07-17-2019, 02:18 AM
Now if you were David Attenborough (or had his budget) you would be hoisted up in the tree canopy with them! Yes to getting rid of the twig but otherwise how would we be able to get a look at these birds. Lovely shot.

Arthur Morris
07-17-2019, 06:46 AM
Glad that it bugged you too :)

with love, a

gail bisson
07-17-2019, 07:26 AM
I love all these new birds.
Nice image and if you agree with cloning out the twig I would clone out the OOF twig coming out of the top of the head!
Gail

William Dickson
07-17-2019, 01:49 PM
What a great looking bird, and well done Dorian on capturing this lovely frame. I really like the colours throughout, and agree with Gail about the little twig coming out of the head.

Good work

Will

David Salem
07-17-2019, 02:27 PM
Cool little bird Dorian and I like the overall colors and details. Looks like a good shot in the jungle, if not at a setup. About as good as you can hope for. Well done

John Mack
07-18-2019, 05:21 PM
Very cool bird. If this is where the bird lives than this frame shows it well.