PDA

View Full Version : Failure

Steve Foss
06-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Yep, that's the right title.

This was a grab shot. Non-native butterfly (European skipper), non-native flower (clover or alfalfa), and we were cruising down a gravel road on the way home after an unsuccessful excursion after the ephemeral calypso orchid when we saw the skipper and the flower and fell in love with the three main colors here.

It was a windy day along the side of a road, and all was in motion, so you'll note the exif.

After working handheld in the conditions for a few moments, I'd actually decided to set up the tripod and get serious. Wind or not, there are those lulls, but just as I was setting up a car blew by and tossed everything kittiwumpus (yes, that is a word), and the butterfly was long gone.

So, while what we have is what I could accomplish in the conditions available, I don't think it's good enough. I want it all in focus, and could have accomplished it with quieter conditions (or the remote shutter release and the diffusion tent to kill much of the wind). That being said, we don't judge our images based on the conditions. We judge them based on the images themselves, and while there are a few things going right for this image, the fact that a couple key portions are OOF (like the butterfly's wings) kills it, IMO.

Thoughts on any or all of this?

Canon 30D, Canon 100 f2.8 macro, iso400, 1/200 at f5.6, handheld

John Cooper
06-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Love the colour combination here Steve, and the lighting is effective. Great work under the circumstances!!!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-01-2008, 12:16 AM
You said it all Steve. But still u have got the head sharp & it holds our attention.

Bill Whitney
07-01-2008, 05:37 AM
Steve....would you pass this shot by next time knowing you won't be able to do it justice in your eyes? It certainly has lots going for it with the colors,comp and the eye is nice and sharp.

Mike Moats
07-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Hey Steve, you have already mentions some flaws, but under the conditions you mentioned, you did a good job with what you had to work with. Well done.

Robert Amoruso
07-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Steve,

You did get the bug sharp but I feel for your dilemma here. It seems the BG is far off so you could have used a smaller aperature to get the DOF needed but the slow shutter speed you get blurs. Same problem I had with a dragonfly explosion a few weeks back - hundreds of them on cattails and reeds with a far-off water BG swaying in the breeze. Bummer.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
07-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Steve looks like a Large Skipper, very nearly there but never the less a very good shot. IJon

David Chauvin
07-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Steve,,,,,,I have a few photog friends that share images like these by email. We call them "almosts". This would be killer, "if only",,,,,,,,,the list of reasons is endless. Nice job getting the head area sharp, but I think it goes in that almost category. Just another reason to get back out there again!.

Roman Kurywczak
07-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Hey Steve,
Interesting............I would have taken a different approach........although just as risky! I would have pulled up the pop up............or my external......and tried that first. I have come to love flash as a friend!!!........when used correctly. I know the 30D isn't great at high ISO's.........but may have risked it for more dof and dealt with the noise in PP. all these options and decisions.........with little time! These "almosts" as David calls them..........drive me for the next time!
So crack open a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...........and wait for next time!