PDA

View Full Version : Whimbrel

Bill Dix
07-14-2019, 03:24 PM
From Iceland. I followed this guy around the grounds of our motel for awhile before I finally got the right angle. When he took off I panned too quickly and had the bird at the far right edge of the frame, so I moved him to the left. A bit of the roof of the motel was sticking out above the brow of the hill, so I cloned that out. (The frame is level; the hill has a slight slope to it.)

D500, Sigma 150-600C @ 320mm, ISO 1000, 1/2500s @ f/7.1 manual.

Bob Smith
07-14-2019, 03:58 PM
You got nice close detail here Bill and I like that the feet are down a bit and that you got the full extension of the wing.We don't see many of these around here and the ones I've managed to capture have a pink lower beak (or at least part thereof ). In my book they also go by the moniker of Hudsonian Godwit.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/ee3d5ef2/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/ee3d5ef2/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Bill Dix
07-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Thanks Bob. The Whimbrel is very different from the Godwit, Hudsonian or otherwise. Note the slightly upturned bill of the Hudsonian Godwit.

annmpacheco
07-15-2019, 08:21 AM
Nice and sharp Bill, good view of the near wing and details, and fanned tail feathers. Glad you had some clouds in the sky and the field with dotted buttercups is very nice. TFS

Bob Smith
07-15-2019, 12:25 PM
Thanks Bob. The Whimbrel is very different from the Godwit, Hudsonian or otherwise. Note the slightly upturned bill of the Hudsonian Godwit.

Hi Bill and thank you for the correction.....don't know where I got the idea that the book attributed the two names to the same bird but it certainly doesn't so I guesss I better adopt the carpenters rule of "Measure twice , cut once" in the sense of "Check twice, write once."

<object type="application/x-KPMPlugin" id="kpm_plugin"></object>
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/ee3d5ef2/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/ee3d5ef2/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

dankearl
07-15-2019, 03:58 PM
I like the nice bright blue Un Iceland BG...
Bird looks nice, nice pose and sharp...

John Mack
07-15-2019, 04:03 PM
Nice flight pose and really like the colors in the background. The yellow,green and blue compliment one another nicely. Bird is nice and sharp as well.

David Roach
07-15-2019, 07:01 PM
Just a gorgeous canvas overall. Great job with bird completely against the sky. Congrats. TFS

Geoffrey Montagu
07-15-2019, 07:52 PM
I'm glad you were able to get such a great capture, Bill. Beautiful wings up, and nice head and feet positions. Well done.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

gail bisson
07-15-2019, 07:53 PM
Nice one Bill.
Good wings up position and your PP looks good- no sign of the bird being moved but I do see a vertical cloning line just below whimbrel's belly and several cloning lines along RH edge. Easy fix.
If you are like me, the money shot would be the whimbrel against the field of buttercups but still very nice as presented.
Gail

Bill Dix
07-16-2019, 08:08 AM
Thank you all for the comments. Gail, your youthful eagle eyes have done it again. It took me a few minutes to find the cloning mark under the belly, and I'm still looking for the ones at the edge.

David Salem
07-17-2019, 02:09 PM
Nice frame Bill. You're getting better at this BIF stuff. Keep up the good work