PDA

View Full Version : Theme Juvenile Great Blue Heron With A Florida GAR

Joseph Przybyla
07-12-2019, 07:37 PM
I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VR AF-S ED, image captured at 300mm
1/1600 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 560 Auto WB HH
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
Cropped for composition and presentation

annmpacheco
07-12-2019, 08:22 PM
I am wincing as i write this Joe. The juvie looks mighty proud of his hunting technique and i like the eyes so big and set back trying to get a closer view of what is on the end of its beak! Super nice details on the GBH. TFS

Matt Sutherland
07-13-2019, 01:36 AM
That's remarkable. The close-up framing is just right, the feather detail on the neck is outstanding. The expression is priceless!

David Roach
07-13-2019, 03:56 AM
A classic portrait with dinner (only you Joe)... TFS

Daniel Cadieux
07-13-2019, 05:44 AM
I love the spear-fishing catch! Awesome details, I especially love the "scales" along the heron's neck. A bit hot on the whites at the base of the mouth, is there anything there to draw out during raw conversion?

Joseph Przybyla
07-13-2019, 06:33 AM
I love the spear-fishing catch! Awesome details, I especially love the "scales" along the heron's neck. A bit hot on the whites at the base of the mouth, is there anything there to draw out during raw conversion?

Hey Dan, thanks for viewing and commenting. Fixed it... here is a repost. That little area under the bill controls the exposure on a Great Blue Heron. That is the brightest area and will clip/blow out in a heartbeat.

John Mack
07-13-2019, 06:45 AM
Nice catch. The bird is nice and sharp. The green background is right on. This would have made a nice vertical. I know easier said than done after the fact.

Mike Poole
07-13-2019, 06:47 AM
Grat catch by you both, love the prey item, RP is a subtle but worthwhile improvement

Mike

Bob Smith
07-13-2019, 01:30 PM
Now that's a close-up Joe---right down to the blood vessels in the tongue.With fishing skills like this this youngster should live a long life. Nice work on the RP bringing out the details of the infamous chin patch.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/ee3d5ef2/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/ee3d5ef2/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Arthur Morris
07-14-2019, 11:12 AM
Like it. Wish for a bit more head turn by the bird. There were no "hot whites" in the chin at least on my laptop. The highest RGB values I could find were in the mid-240s. That area looks grayed out in the repost. That and other areas around the face seem to have a bluish-green color cast ...

with love, a

Joseph Przybyla
07-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Like it. Wish for a bit more head turn by the bird. There were no "hot whites" in the chin at least on my laptop. The highest RGB values I could find were in the mid-240s. That area looks grayed out in the repost. That and other areas around the face seem to have a bluish-green color cast ...

with love, a

Hey Artie, thank you for viewing and commenting. I revisited the image, pretty much knowing what caused the bluish-green color. Here is a repost with the original cheek patch as it was in the master file.

Arthur Morris
07-14-2019, 04:43 PM
Thanks, Joe, Much much better from where I sit :

a