PDA

View Full Version : R U looking at me?

Oscar Zangroniz
06-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Another shot from Pinecrest Gardens and still testing the sharpness of the lens with a tc

Nikon D300
Tamron 200-500mm w/1.4tc
Focal length: 700mm
Shutter speed: 1/80 sec
Aperture: 10
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: -1 1/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400

Thank you for your comments.

Alfred Forns
06-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi Oscar this does not look sharp? Was the lens mounted on a tripod? Better be at that shutter speed !!!! Even with a tripod I would have trouble making a sharp exposure even with VR !!!

Do take advantage of the clean ISO in your camera ... and even if you get noise ... noise is better than soft any day !!!!
Here you needed to go wide open Don't worry about stopping down for better quality if there is no speed !!!!

Lance Peters
06-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Hey Oscar - glad to see you are having fun with the new lens.

Nice shot - you could improve it by - some selective lightening/saturation/sharpening of the eye. BG is just a bit busy around the bill arae for my ppersonal tastes - you could apply some blur to it, although once the eye is done you might find that it draws you to the ye and you don't notice the BG area as much.

;)

Alberto Oria
07-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Oscar, what is your decision, are you going to keep it?

Harold Davis
07-01-2008, 03:54 PM
the bigma is better!!:D:D:p:p hey, i have a thought. sigma is coming out with a 150-500 that has VR or OS. whatever they call it. i hear the glass is supposed to be good. and for about $1000. may want to wait and see what the reviews look like if you dont want to spend the big bucks for the better stuff!! my .02. i have never seen good results from that tamron and i'd hate for you to get stuck with it and not be happy.

Shellie Dallas
07-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi Oscar, I hope you don't mind me posting my pic here but I took this today with my D300 and since it was a similar shot I thought it would be a good comparison for you as far as lenses go. I have read that you aren't sure about your tamron...now keep in mind I am learning here ok! :-) I think it may still me a little dark???? What do you all think?? Oh...my WB was set to cloudy and I did a little camera raw and levels adj, as well as eye sharpening....but someone on BPN did some eye sharpening on a raccoon of mine and did a great joy!!! Mine could be a little better.

Nikon D300
300mm 2.8 VR (with 2X tc)
600mm focal length
ISO 800
1/250 at 5.6
0 exposure comp.
no flash

Gus Cobos
07-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Oscar,
My brother, my friend...return it while you still can; and do yourself the favor...save your money and get the Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED lens...:cool: I know its expensive, but its worth it. Beside, remember the old saying..."YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" The heart and most important part of your Nikon system is your lens...bodies come and go. I rather spend the money for a quality piece of fast glass, than anything else. You already have the body (D300); now match it up with a good pair of eyes...:eek::D:cool: Anyway my two cents in from your brother that cares...:) Now, as far as your image goes, well you know...:eek::confused: its not sharp...I would crop just a tad from the top to make it more pano looking since you cut the neck off...:eek::eek: Thats too close for confort; in my book...:D

Alberto Oria
07-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Well said Gus I agree.

Gus Cobos
07-01-2008, 05:11 PM
P.S. Did some work on your image, see if you like it. I cropped to convert it into a pano, lightened the background, kicked up the contrast just slightly, and sprinkled some sharpening...:D

Lance Peters
07-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Gus - you didnt sharpen and lighten the eye - 20 lashes from the eye police.

**** would love that 200-400 myself but thats one expensive peice of glass - at least over here in OZ.