PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Puffin in flight

gail bisson
07-10-2019, 06:11 AM
Just back from a very productive trip to Iceland with Ann. Mostly cloudy days but little rain.
I have just started going through my files and I like this one because of the BG which is sea and kelp.
Almost FF- I took a sliver off the RHS.
Nothing added or cloned.
I dodged the eye and did NR on the BG. Otherwise pretty much straight out of the camera.
Canon 1 DX, 600mm v.3
ISO 1600 SS 1/2500 f 6.3
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks.

Geoffrey Montagu
07-10-2019, 07:04 AM
Hi Gail,

Glad you had a productive trip. Cloudy isn't so bad when you're in Iceland. This capture is spectacular, and you have gotten a beautiful wings up, and great head angle. I agree with you re the background. Welcome home, and can't wait to see more frames form Iceland.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

David Roach
07-10-2019, 07:25 AM
I love the BG, the look back pose (with very nice upper and lower wing details) and great job with the eye. Always love to see the pupil. Looking forward to more. TFS

Bill Dix
07-10-2019, 08:42 AM
Welcome home, Gail. Glad you had a good trip and decent weather. Love the flight pose, head turn and background. Eager to see more from the trip.

Daniel Cadieux
07-10-2019, 10:13 AM
Good call dodging the eye as it would have been rather dark. Excellent pose here with a perfect head turn too. The orange bill and feet add colour. Glad the trip turned out well!

annmpacheco
07-10-2019, 10:37 AM
One of many beauties you shot in Iceland Gail, well done here, the pose, the details throughouot the balcks and whites and the lovely soft BG w just enough color to add to those gorgeous colorful puffin features. No noticeable noise and just enough lift on the eye, looking forward to many more posts, goodness knows we shot non stop for 2 weeks and with 24 hours of light, thats a heap of files!

dankearl
07-10-2019, 10:40 AM
Look back very nice... Feet are maybe a bit hot... orange in BG adds a lot.

John Mack
07-10-2019, 03:21 PM
The look back makes this one. Neat how you have the under side of one wing and the top of the other. Background is pretty sweet as well.

William Dickson
07-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Nice looking frame....The HA is perfect for that flight pose, flying away from us. The BG looks fabulous.

Will

Mike Poole
07-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Unusual and slightly unconventional landing pose but it works due to the head turn. I would never have guessed about the eye work, but the reds and oranges look a little over saturated to my eye

Mike

gail bisson
07-10-2019, 06:37 PM
Thanks all for the comments.
Dan and Mike- I looked at my workflow and I did not touch the saturation or vibrance slider so I think it must be the light that causes the feet to look so red/orange. I did a redo where i selected the feet and bill and reduced the reds and the orange very slightly. I hope this addressses your concerns. Thanks for the eyes!

Mike Poole
07-10-2019, 06:50 PM
No worries Gail, if you've not touched sliders, then its either accurate to the conditions at the time or a lightroom preset has added something. Either way, the RP looks like a subtle improvement to me

Looking forward to all the shots from Ann and yourself

Mike

Matt Sutherland
07-10-2019, 11:43 PM
Excellent, Gail. Great sharpness against a lovely background. Pose you caught during descent (if it is descent!) is fantastic, nice perspective.

Dorian Anderson
07-10-2019, 11:50 PM
Really nice, Gail! Look-back pose is great and the cliff nicely complements the subject without overpowering it. You also managed to stop the action nicely given the somewhat challenging lighting conditions. These guys flap really fast! The toenails are a nice touch as well.

Moe Richard
07-11-2019, 01:06 PM
Excellent in-flight shot. The head turn is great. Detail looks very good on the body need got a little bit of a wing blur. Wish I could see the aisle little bit better. I might also crop 5% in from the right side but that is matter of taste

Stu Bowie
07-11-2019, 01:28 PM
Hi Gail, excellent overall exposure, and I like the feather detail on the wings. Good head turn looking for a place to land/perch. I believe these guys are pretty quick in the air, so well captured.

Gabriela Plesea
07-11-2019, 02:30 PM
Beautiful image Gail, I love the dramatic look of the sky. Subject is sharp with nice detail, love the colours. Well framed and well exposed, nicely processed too!

I like this as presented, such a pleasure to view - thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,

arash_hazeghi
07-12-2019, 12:10 AM
nice frame, the look back saves the flying away position

TFS