PDA

View Full Version : mountain bluebird

Dave Slaughter
06-30-2008, 09:06 PM
This is a mountain bluebird, taken with a Canon Xti, 400 mm f5.6 lens
ISO 200
f5.6
1/125
The background was blurred a bit to reduce noise. No alteration was made in color saturation. I know the colors look unreal but so do the birds.
Some sharpening applied to his eyes and head.
Thanks for loooking.

Alfred Forns
06-30-2008, 09:44 PM
HI Dave It does look unreal !!! I would back down the saturation in the blue channel just a bit !!

I like the pose and clean bg Great head angle One good point in this image is the light angle Take a look at the perch... lot of light on the right left side but not much to the right Same way there is a shadow ....same on the bird !!! You can try fill flash or obtaining a good sun angle !!!

Katie Rupp
06-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi Dave,
Great head angle and nice bird...agree with Alfred about the blue.

Gail Spitler
07-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Dave
Great image. I'm afraid the color does look unnatural to me as well.
Gail

Julie Kenward
07-01-2008, 10:51 AM
I had a few of these birds in my backyard this spring so I can attest that this IS what they look like. It actually freaked me out a bit at first! You could back down on the blue a tad but since this is their color, I'd be tempted to leave it as is.

Great head angle, nice overall lighting and clean BG. Good work, Dave!

Dave Slaughter
07-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the comments. The first time I saw one of these birds I was so astounded by the color that I still remember the place and time even though it was decades ago - 1979, second week of June, Lamar Valley, Yellowstone (I dont keep lists and can't remember being so struck by any other bird. I was tempted to decrease the saturation due to previous comments about how unreal it looked but decided to keep it as is for a faithful recording of the bird. I am certainly going to have to learn about fill flash.

Oscar Zangroniz
07-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Great image Dave. Excellent pose and head angle.