PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Vulture Portrait.

Daniel Cadieux
06-24-2019, 06:34 PM
This is the one and only time I have ever been able to get so close to a TV up here (I've had the privilege in Florida before). They are so skittish, usually. After taking a few full-body images, one which I posted a few weeks ago, I began a super slow approach. It paid off with some close-ups such as this. One my way back the plan was to back away just as slow....first step back, the vulture took off and away!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/800s., f/8, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, small crop for comp (about 80% FF), deepened the blacks and added more contrast and saturation (to taste and to match what I think I saw) than usual to liven up the otherwise dull raw file.

John Mack
06-24-2019, 08:48 PM
High key treatment works very well here. Composition is spot on. Detail look great. Nice view of that featherless head. Nice of the bird to hang out and wait until you were done.

kevin Hice
06-24-2019, 09:01 PM
Real nice Daniel love the high key. Nice details and especially the wing feathers and head.Neat all the way around.Nothing dull about this. TFS

dankearl
06-25-2019, 12:58 PM
Fine portrait... I am not a huge fan of high key for portraits, but it sets this bird off well.
Nice feather detail and DOF.

Gerald Kelberg
06-26-2019, 03:32 PM
I like the high key treatment and the colour and detail on the bird looks great.
And I appreciate you telling the story of the chase.
But that is one **** ugly looking creature!

Gerald