PDA

View Full Version : Osprey with Partially Consumed Dinner

Moe Richard
06-22-2019, 11:28 AM
Taken on a river delta in western Costa Rica in March 2019. Difficult exposure with Side Backlight late afternoon.
From a moving boat. Includeds a color corrected image.

iso 400, 500 plus 1.4X, f8, 2000th, D500, handheld, 70% of full frame.

Randy Stout
06-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Moe:

I know that standard frontal lighting is very popular on BPN, but I do like the alternatives at times, and this is one of those cases. Tremendous sense of depth in the bird because of the shadows and highlights. Open bill, tongue, prey item, perch, all good.

Well done under difficult conditions. I also like the opposing diagonals of the perch and bird.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
06-23-2019, 10:01 AM
I am not thrilled by the side light or the mostly-consumed fish. that said, Moe did a good job with the WHITEs and a good job evening out the exposure. The darker tones look a bit over-done/funky. And the WHITEs on the rear crown could stand to be lightened a bit as they are greyed out.

The perch and the image design are excellent.

with love, artie

John Mack
06-23-2019, 07:16 PM
The perch and the pose on the bird are great. Nice too see some side lighting over here. Nice and sharp.

Ivan Sjogren
06-24-2019, 08:03 AM
Nice perch and prey. I don't mind the partially consumed dinner and would say that it lifts the image.
I think you exposed the shot well in regards of the difficult light but I still think it brings the image down. Also there aren't much fine feather detail left on the bird, it looks like you washed some out in the prossessing(?). I would also add more room the the left, if you have any, and take just a tad of the right.

arash_hazeghi
06-25-2019, 12:18 AM
I like the open beak, perch and BG, I am with Artie, the side light isn't ideal and the processing has made the osprey look unnatural and a bit strange looking as Artie mentioned. the feathers just don't look right to my eye, this happens when he darks are lifted and some NR is applied, especially when using LR and / or PS highlight shadow tool.

TFS